RC time constant problem — confusing problem statement

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy remaining in an RC circuit after a given time, with the assumption of discharge through a resistor. The formula used is W = 0.5(C*V^2), with V = V0 (e^-t/rc) and an initial energy stored denoted as Eo. The solution involves calculating the energy after 300ms as a fraction of Eo.
Abo
Homework Statement
It says that the Time Constant of an RC circuit is equal to 100 ms. What is the energy that remains in the circuit after 300 ms? "Nothing mentioned about whether it is in falling or rising edge".
Relevant Equations
The formulas that I have been using are :
W = 0,5 (C* V^2)
V = V0 ( e^-t/rc )
Hello!
It says that the Time Constant of an RC circuit is equal to 100 ms. What is the energy that remains in the circuit after 300 ms? "Nothing mentioned about whether it is in falling or rising edge".
The formulas that I have been using are :
W = 0,5 (C* V^2)
V = V0 ( e^-t/rc )
since I don't have the details about neither the initial voltage nor the capacitance I really don't know how to compute the energy? would it be a numerical value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

If that's all the problem states, then I would take the word "remaining" to mean that the capacitor is being discharged by the resistor. And assume the initial energy stored is Eo based on an initial capacitor voltage of Vo. Then calculate the energy after 300ms as a fraction of Eo.

Give that a try and see how it goes... :smile:

Likes Abo
Thank you for your reply. I did as you told me and I think it seems reasonable. Here is a photo of the solution.

The photo is a little hard to read, but it looks good to me. Good work! :smile:

Likes Abo

1. What is an RC time constant problem?

An RC time constant problem is a type of circuit problem that involves calculating the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge through a resistor. It is commonly used in electronics and engineering fields to analyze the behavior of circuits.

2. How is the problem statement for an RC time constant problem confusing?

The problem statement for an RC time constant problem can be confusing because it often involves multiple variables and equations that may not be clearly defined or explained. This can make it difficult for students or beginners to understand and solve the problem.

3. What are the key components of an RC time constant problem?

The key components of an RC time constant problem are a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. The problem also typically involves a voltage source and a switch to control the charging or discharging of the capacitor.

4. How do you solve an RC time constant problem?

To solve an RC time constant problem, you will need to use the equation t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. You will also need to use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and determine the values of R and C.

5. What are some common applications of RC time constant problems?

RC time constant problems are commonly used in electronic circuits, such as in filters, timing circuits, and oscillators. They are also used in various engineering fields, such as in control systems, signal processing, and communication systems.