How to calculate time when given distance, mass, and power

In summary, the problem requires calculating the time for a 100 gram wooden drag car to travel 50 feet, powered by an 8 gram CO₂ cartridge. The necessary equations for this calculation are listed, along with conversions for grams to kilograms and feet to meters. The challenge lies in determining the power produced by the CO₂ cartridge and the speed of the car. Friction, guiding mechanism, and unknown specifications of the cartridge also need to be considered. Assumptions may have to be made in order to solve the problem.
Sky Burns

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the time that it takes for a drag car that is powered by an 8 gram CO₂ cartridge to go across a certain distance. My wooden drag car is 100 grams. It will be traveling a distance of 50 feet.

Homework Equations

Force= mass x acceleration
Power= work / time
Work= force x distance
Time= distance / speed
Power= force x velocity

1 gram = 0.001 kilograms
1 ft = 0.33 meters

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to find out how much power is produced by the CO2 cartridge. I could not find an answer, which made me think that maybe I don't need to find power. Also, power is measured in watts and no where in my statement do I mention watts. I do not know the speed of my car yet. How do I calculate the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
This depends on things you have not accounted for here. There's friction, not just with the surface, but in the axles. Also, you need to know how much power is exerted by a cartridge. It's not exerted all at once, and it's not constant, and it quickly putters out.
Also, is your car guided by a wire, or is it possible for it to deviate from a straight path?

Hi Sky:

I think that since the problem statement does not mention friction, you can assume it is negligible. I also think it is reasonable to assume the car will go in a straight line.

I do not know how much energy there is in a 8 gram CO2 cartridge. Have you tried to find this out, as well as other specs, by searching the Internet? I tried too find out how much CO2 is in an 8 gm cartridge, but failed to find this, or about pressure or any other specification. In the absence of this information, you might make some assumptions to see what assumptions produce what answers. It seems like a strange homework problem requiring many hypothetical assumptions, not all of which need to be realistic.

Assume 8 grams of CO2. Assume some mass for the container holding the CO2 at some pressure. Assume the CO2 would be released at a constant rate and empty in t seconds. Make assumptions about the velocity in which the gas exits the nozzle. I am guessing the problem wants you take into account that the mass of the car together with the cartridge reduces as cartridge empties.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

1. How do I calculate time when given distance, mass, and power?

To calculate time when given distance, mass, and power, you can use the formula: time = (distance x mass) / power. This formula is derived from the equation for power, which is power = work / time. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for time.

2. What units should I use when calculating time with distance, mass, and power?

When calculating time with distance, mass, and power, you should use consistent units for all three variables. For example, if distance is measured in meters, then mass should also be measured in kilograms and power should be measured in watts. This will ensure that your final answer is in the correct unit of time, such as seconds or hours.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of distance, mass, and power?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of distance, mass, and power as long as the units are consistent. It can be used for both small and large distances, masses, and powers.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should plug in the values for distance, mass, and power?

No, there is no specific order in which you should plug in the values for distance, mass, and power. As long as you use the correct units and follow the formula time = (distance x mass) / power, you will get the correct answer.

5. Can I use this formula to calculate time for multiple objects at once?

Yes, you can use this formula to calculate time for multiple objects at once as long as you have the distance, mass, and power values for each object. You can either calculate the total time for all objects combined or the individual time for each object. Just be sure to use consistent units for all variables.