How to calculate velocity in a spring mass model?

In summary, the problem involves a mass of 4kg released 8mm below the static equilibrium position with two springs with a stiffness of 40 kN/m. The equivalent spring stiffness, natural frequency in Hertz, displacement equation, velocity at t=0.05s, and acceleration at t=0.05s were calculated using the undamped free vibration formula x=A sin⁡〖ω_n 〗 t+B cos⁡〖ω_n 〗 t and differentiation to find velocity and acceleration.
Noblesse

Homework Statement

At time t = 0, the mass is released 8 mm below the static equilibrium position. The mass is
m = 4kg and each spring stiffness is k = 40 kN/m.
Determine:
(i) The equivalent spring stiffness.
(ii) The natural frequency of the system in Hertz.
(iii) The displacement equation of the spring-mass model.
(iv) The velocity of the mass at time t = 0.05s.
(v) The acceleration of the mass at time t = 0.05s.

Homework Equations

x=A sin⁡〖ω_n 〗 t+B cos⁡〖ω_n 〗 t

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to calculate it. Basically B is equal to displacement at t=0 according to lectures about undamped free vibration and A is equal to velocity x/natural circular frequency. In order to find velocity, I calculated natural circular frequency using the W=square root of (stiffness(k)/mass(m)) and after it I differentiated the formula for x given above in the relevant equations. Pretty much I just have to replace B for displacement and then multiplied by natural frequency in the derived velocity formula. A would be ignored and the value for B times W_n would be used as the value for velocity I believe. The derivation of the above formula should be something like this:

x=ω_n A cos⁡〖ω_n 〗t - ω_n B sin⁡〖ω_n 〗t

This is about undamped free vibration for Dynamics. If someone knows about it, would be nice if they could give me a shout and let me know if I am wrong and add some input into it here in the thread

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity found. For acceleration I need to differentiate the formula for velocity and use the same method I think.

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity in a spring mass model?

The formula for calculating velocity in a spring mass model is v=√(k/m) * A * sin(ωt + Φ), where k is the spring constant, m is the mass, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and Φ is the phase angle.

2. How do I determine the values needed for the velocity formula in a spring mass model?

In order to calculate velocity in a spring mass model, you will need to know the spring constant (k), mass (m), amplitude (A), angular frequency (ω), and phase angle (Φ). These values can be determined by measuring the physical properties of the spring and mass, or by using experimental data.

3. Can velocity in a spring mass model be negative?

Yes, velocity in a spring mass model can be negative. The negative sign indicates that the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the spring's restoring force.

4. Is there a maximum velocity in a spring mass model?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity in a spring mass model. The maximum velocity occurs at the equilibrium point, where the spring is neither stretched nor compressed. At this point, the velocity is equal to the amplitude multiplied by the angular frequency (vmax = A * ω).

5. How does changing the mass or spring constant affect the velocity in a spring mass model?

Changing the mass or spring constant will affect the velocity in a spring mass model. Increasing the mass will decrease the velocity, while increasing the spring constant will increase the velocity. This is due to the relationship between mass and velocity (v∝1/√m) and the relationship between spring constant and velocity (v∝√k).