How to Calculate Work of Isothermal Magnetization?

In summary: When W is negative, it represents the work done on the system, in this case by magnetization moving from M1 to M2.
TristanJones

Homework Statement

A magnetic salt obeys the Curie Law
μoM/Bo = C/T
Where M is the magnetization, Bo is the applied magnetic field in the absence of the specimen, C is a constant, and μo is the permeability of free space. The salt is magnetized isothermally from a magnetization M1 to M2. You may assume that the magnetization is uniform over the volume V of the salt. Show that the work of magnetization is:
W = VμoT(M22-M12)/2C

Homework Equations

W = --∫Hdm, from M1 to M2. H= MT/C

The Attempt at a Solution

To start, I use W = -∫Hdm, from M1 to M2. using H = MT/C and integrating, I end up with W = -T(M22-M12)/2C. How do I also get μo and V in the numerator, as well as removing the negative sign? What am I missing here?
(not necessarily looking for a blatant answer so much as a nudge in the right direction.)

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 4.52.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 4.52.01 PM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
TristanJones said:

Homework Equations

W = --∫Hdm, from M1 to M2.
Are you sure that this equation shouldn't also include μ0 and V?
When written with the negative sign as you did above, does this equation represent the work done by the system or the work done on the system?

I'm using an equation provided in my notes. If the equation is supposed to already include V and μ0 then... well, that would be great, but I need the basis for it, which I'm having trouble figuring out.

And with the negative sign, I think it represents the work performed by the material itself, so perhaps I should treat it as external instead?

well, I guess that answers it! I must've been interpreting what the question was asking incorrectly and using an incorrect formula. the one described in that link fits this much better, I think.

Your notes might have been dealing with the work per unit volume. But, still, it should have had the μ0 if working in the SI system. The wording of the problem is not very clear about whether they are asking for work done on the system or by the system.

1. What is isothermal magnetization?

Isothermal magnetization is the process of measuring the magnetic properties of a material at a constant temperature. It involves applying a magnetic field to a material and measuring the resulting magnetization. This allows scientists to study the behavior of magnetic materials under different conditions.

2. How is isothermal magnetization measured?

Isothermal magnetization is typically measured using a vibrating sample magnetometer (VSM), which can accurately measure the magnetization of a material as a function of applied magnetic field. This process involves placing the material in a magnetic field and measuring the induced magnetic moment through changes in the vibration of the sample.

3. What factors can affect isothermal magnetization?

Several factors can affect isothermal magnetization, including temperature, external magnetic fields, and the composition and structure of the material. Temperature can affect the magnetic properties of a material, while external magnetic fields can influence the orientation of the material's magnetic domains. The composition and structure of the material can also impact its magnetic properties.

4. How is isothermal magnetization used in research?

Isothermal magnetization is an important tool in materials science and research. It can be used to study the magnetic properties of different materials and their behavior in different conditions. This information is crucial for understanding the fundamental properties of materials and for developing new technologies, such as magnetic storage devices and magnetic sensors.

5. What are some applications of isothermal magnetization?

Isothermal magnetization has a wide range of applications, including in the development of magnetic materials for various industries such as electronics, energy, and healthcare. It is also used in geological studies to understand the magnetic properties of rocks and minerals. Additionally, isothermal magnetization is used in the production and quality control of magnetic materials to ensure their desired magnetic properties are achieved.