How to cancel factorials in power series problems?

• Thread starter shanepitts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary: The correct formula is:[(n+1)!]^2 ⇒ (n+1)^2 (n!)^2This can be done by expanding the left side and then simplifying by canceling out the common factor (n+1) in each term.
shanepitts
I have been practicing power series problems and a lot of them include factorials. To find out if they converge or not I'll often use the ratio test. However, I never quite understood how to cancel factorials when replacing the n with n+1. i.e. the textbook has an example problem that shows that

[(n+1)!]2 ⇒ (n+1)2 (n!)

How is this done?

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
shanepitts said:
I have been practicing power series problems and a lot of them include factorials. To find out if they converge or not I'll often use the ratio test. However, I never quite understood how to cancel factorials when replacing the n with n+1. i.e. the textbook has an example problem that shows that

[(n+1)!]2 ⇒ (n+1)2 (n!)
In your example, [(n+1)!]2 means [(n+1)!] * [(n+1)!], which would be (n + 1)2(n)2(n - 1)2 ... 3222.
shanepitts said:
How is this done?

Thank you in advance.

Likes shanepitts
Note that [itex] [(n+1)!]^2 \ne \big(n+1\big)^2 \big(n!\big) [/itex], so you will have difficulty reducing the left side to the right side. :)

Likes shanepitts
A slight typo, but it should be
shanepitts said:
[(n+1)!]2 ⇒ (n+1)2 (n!)2

[tex](n+1)! = (n+1)\times n![/tex]

Hence

[tex]\left[ (n+1)!\right]^2 = \left[ (n+1)\times n!\right]^2[/tex]

Likes shanepitts
Mark44 said:
In your example, [(n+1)!]2 means [(n+1)!] * [(n+1)!], which would be (n + 1)2(n)2(n - 1)2 ... 3222.

Thanks

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical operation that represents the product of all positive integers less than or equal to a given number. It is denoted by the exclamation mark (!) after a number. For example, the factorial of 5 is written as 5! and equals to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do I calculate factorials?

To calculate factorials, you can use a calculator or do it manually by multiplying all the positive integers less than or equal to the given number. For example, to calculate 7!, you would multiply 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 5040.

3. What is the purpose of manipulating factorials?

Manipulating factorials is useful in solving mathematical problems involving combinations, permutations, and probability. It is also used in various real-life applications, such as in statistics and computer science.

4. Can factorials be negative or decimal numbers?

No, factorials can only be calculated for positive integers. Negative and decimal numbers do not have factorials as they are not considered whole numbers.

5. What are some common mistakes when manipulating factorials?

Some common mistakes when manipulating factorials include forgetting to include 1 in the calculation (e.g. 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1, not just 5 x 4 x 3 x 2), using decimal or negative numbers, and confusing it with other mathematical operations such as exponents.