How to check the isotropy of the source in MCNP?

• Thread starter angfells
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp Mcnp5
angfells
Hello everyone!
I need to make sure that my source is isotropic. How can I check that?
I have point source pos -11 0 0 erg=d1 with Maxwellian spectrum of energy and some surfaces through which neutron flux passes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How rigorous does the check need to be?

You could make everything else transparent, put a sphere round your source, segment it like an orange and then section the orange in half. Every surface would then have equal area and you could do tallies.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Alex A said:
How rigorous does the check need to be?

You could make everything else transparent, put a sphere round your source, segment it like an orange and then section the orange in half. Every surface would then have equal area and you could do tallies.
To really see that the source is isotropic, i.e. the particle flow is equally distributed throughout the source volume. Everything is already transparent. Thanks for your answer, I'll try it.

What is isotropy in the context of MCNP simulations?

Isotropy in MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) simulations refers to a condition where a source emits radiation uniformly in all directions. This property is crucial for certain types of analyses where uniform radiation exposure is necessary, such as in radiation shielding studies or medical physics applications.

How can you check the isotropy of a source in MCNP?

To check the isotropy of a source in MCNP, you typically use a tally that measures the flux or particle intensity as a function of direction. Commonly, an F2 tally (flux tally) combined with a surface that encloses the source can be used. By analyzing the results for uniformity across different directions, you can determine the isotropy of the source.

What specific MCNP input commands are useful for testing isotropy?

To test isotropy in MCNP, you can use the 'SI' and 'SP' cards to define a source with an isotropic angular distribution. Following this, setting up an 'F2' tally over a spherical surface surrounding the source will help in measuring the angular distribution of emitted particles. The uniformity of the tally results across different angles indicates isotropy.

Are there any visualization tools in MCNP to help check isotropy?

Yes, MCNP offers visualization tools such as the Visual Editor, which can help in visualizing the geometry and the particle tracks. By observing the uniformity in the distribution of particle tracks emanating from the source in all directions, you can visually assess the isotropy. Additionally, post-processing tools can be used to plot the results from directional tallies to visually confirm isotropy.

What are common pitfalls when checking isotropy in MCNP and how can they be avoided?

Common pitfalls include not using a sufficiently large or appropriately positioned tally surface, which might not capture the full angular distribution of particles. To avoid this, ensure the tally surface completely encloses the source and is positioned symmetrically. Additionally, statistical errors can skew results, so it's important to run the simulation with a high enough number of particles to achieve reliable statistics. Adjusting the number of cycles and the number of particles per cycle can help achieve more accurate results.