Isotropic distribution for a surface source MCNP

• Thread starter angfells
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp Mcnp6
angfells
Hello everyone!
I have to use isotropic distribution for my mcnp program. But I didn't find how can I create that one.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Does it have to be a surface source? With a cell source, for example a point source, isotropic is the default.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Alex A said:
Does it have to be a surface source? With a cell source, for example a point source, isotropic is the default.
Yes, it has to be a surface..

What is the shape of the surface and can the source be a degenerate volume source?

That would be a surface but it has the advantages of not using a geometric surface and so the result is isotropic.

Alex A said:
What is the shape of the surface and can the source be a degenerate volume source?

That would be a surface but it has the advantages of not using a geometric surface and so the result is isotropic.
This is the surface of the cube, that is, one side of it.
I tried to make a cell source of it, but i don't understant how to do it correctly. For the cell source I need to write from which cell neutron flux starts and add some distributions of the cell, if I correctly understand. But I also have energy distribution "erg=d4". When I write distributions si1=-12 11, si2=-10 10, si3=-10 10 for x y z coordinates and sp1=-2 for energy I have some fatal errors.

I just now tried to use a degenerate cartesian volumetric source and immediately checked at the angles of the departure of the particles whether it is isotropic, and it seems that everything worked.

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-08-15 125316.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-08-15 125316.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

1. What is an isotropic distribution for a surface source in MCNP?

An isotropic distribution for a surface source in MCNP refers to a source distribution that emits particles uniformly in all directions. This means that the particles are emitted with equal probability in all directions, creating a spherical distribution of particles around the source.

2. Why is an isotropic distribution important in MCNP simulations?

An isotropic distribution is important in MCNP simulations because it allows for more accurate modeling of real-world scenarios. Many sources in nature emit particles in an isotropic manner, so using an isotropic distribution in simulations can help to accurately predict the behavior of particles in different environments.

3. How is an isotropic distribution implemented in MCNP?

In MCNP, an isotropic distribution can be implemented by using the SDEF card in the input file. This allows the user to specify the source type as isotropic and define the source location and strength. The particles emitted from this source will then be distributed isotropically in all directions.

4. Can anisotropic sources be modeled using an isotropic distribution in MCNP?

Yes, anisotropic sources can be modeled using an isotropic distribution in MCNP. This can be achieved by using multiple isotropic sources with different strengths and directions to approximate the anisotropic source. However, it is important to note that this may not accurately represent the behavior of the anisotropic source in all scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to using an isotropic distribution in MCNP simulations?

One limitation of using an isotropic distribution in MCNP simulations is that it assumes a uniform distribution of particles in all directions, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, an isotropic distribution may not accurately represent the behavior of anisotropic sources or sources with directional characteristics, leading to potential inaccuracies in the simulation results.