How to choose an amplifier to couple the noise into data line

In summary, the conversation is about coupling noise into a communication cable for analyzing its performance. The person is using a function generator and a current transformer but is only able to achieve 1-2V coupling to the cable. They are considering using a 100W power amplifier to achieve 20V coupling and are seeking advice on the parameters to consider for choosing the right amplifier. There is also a request for the OP to clarify their previous thread on industry standard EN 61000-4-6 Common Mode Noise test for data cables.
Nikhil N
Hii...

I have to couple the noise into a communication cable for analyzing the performance of the communication. I am using a function generator which will generate a white noise of 1-2V(rms) and I have a current transformer to couple this to the communication line. The current transformer has a 12ohm. I am getting only this 1-2v only coupled to the line. So I need to chose a amplifier where I should atleast couple 20V to the cable. I was using 30W amplifier which gave me ~15V. Can I use a 100W power amplifier to achieve this? Please tell what are the parameters should I taken care to choose the right amplifier.

Engineering news on Phys.org
davenn said:
We really need the OP @Nikhil N to come back and clarify what he is talking about so that we all don't have to make wild guesses
Nikhil N. If you cannot finish an old thread then you don't need to start a new thread.

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Nikhil N. If you cannot finish an old thread then you don't need to start a new thread.
Agreed. @Nikhil N -- please keep the discussion in your existing thread(s).

And it would be good if you replied to my comments (in one of your threads) about the industry standard EN 61000-4-6 Common Mode Noise test for data cables. There is no need to "reinvent the wheel" for this test.

1. How do I determine the appropriate amplifier gain for my data line?

The appropriate amplifier gain for your data line can be determined by considering factors such as the input signal strength, noise levels, and the desired output signal strength. It is important to choose an amplifier with a gain that is not too high or too low to avoid distortion or loss of signal. Consulting with a professional or using simulation software can also help determine the appropriate gain.

2. What is the difference between a voltage amplifier and a current amplifier?

A voltage amplifier amplifies the voltage of an input signal, while a current amplifier amplifies the current of an input signal. The type of amplifier needed for coupling noise into a data line will depend on the type of signal being amplified, as well as the requirements of the data line.

3. How can I minimize noise when coupling it into a data line?

To minimize noise when coupling it into a data line, it is important to choose an amplifier with a low noise figure and high signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, proper grounding and shielding techniques can also help reduce noise interference.

4. Is it necessary to match the input and output impedance of the amplifier and data line?

In most cases, it is recommended to match the input and output impedance of the amplifier and data line to achieve maximum power transfer and minimize signal distortion. However, if the data line has a high impedance, it may not be necessary to match the impedance as closely.

5. Can I use any type of amplifier to couple noise into a data line?

No, not all amplifiers are suitable for coupling noise into a data line. It is important to choose an amplifier with a wide bandwidth and low distortion to ensure that the noise is accurately coupled into the data line without causing any signal degradation. Additionally, the amplifier should also have a high input impedance to avoid loading on the data line.