How to conduct electricity through water without electrodes?

In summary: However, Dave also mentions that copper, which is not ferromagnetic, can also create a magnetic field and potentially induce a current in water. There is some research on this idea, but Dave suggests doing further reading on electromagnetic induction. In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for conducting electricity through water without submerging electrodes, including using a high voltage arc and a loop of water linked to a coil. There is also mention of using copper to create a magnetic field and potential research on this topic.
kevin_tee
More specifically, how to conduct electricity through water without submerging electrodes into water? I can't think of other way except using high voltage to arc across air into water, but this method only work for high voltage. Any ideas? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Other than any form of contact with the water I think that a high voltage arc would be the only other option.

I've never tried it (yet!), but if you had a loop of water magnetically linked to a coil, presumably a current could be induced, just as with any other conductor.

Merlin3189 said:
I've never tried it (yet!), but if you had a loop of water magnetically linked to a coil, presumably a current could be induced, just as with any other conductor.
Hmmm... Interesting, I though electricity can only be induce if the material have a magnetic property.

Copper is not ferromagnetic, but works well in transformers.

Merlin3189 said:
Copper is not ferromagnetic, but works well in transformers.
But the core of the transformer is ferromagnetic. Copper is just to create magnetic field. But I think copper will also work. Aren't there research on this?

I don't know about research on the magnetic properties of copper.
What I am suggesting is a transformer with normal primary coil (copper), normal core (iron) and a secondary coil of a loop tube of water.

Likes Dale
kevin_tee said:
But the core of the transformer is ferromagnetic. Copper is just to create magnetic field.

no,
Transformers will still work without an iron core, the just don't work as well at lower frequencies

Many dual coil inductors in RF circuits have no ferrite material in them

go do some reading on electromagnetic induction :)Dave

1. How does electricity conduct through water without electrodes?

Electricity can conduct through water without electrodes through a process known as electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through the water, causing the water molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen ions. These ions then carry the electric charge, allowing for the conduction of electricity through the water.

2. Can any type of water conduct electricity without electrodes?

No, not all types of water can conduct electricity without electrodes. Pure water, without any impurities or minerals, does not conduct electricity. The presence of impurities, such as salt, allows for the conduction of electricity through water without electrodes.

3. What is the purpose of conducting electricity through water without electrodes?

One potential purpose for conducting electricity through water without electrodes is for the production of hydrogen gas. This process, known as water electrolysis, uses the electricity to split the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas, which can then be used as a clean energy source.

4. What factors affect the ability to conduct electricity through water without electrodes?

The ability to conduct electricity through water without electrodes is affected by the concentration of dissolved ions in the water, as well as the strength of the electric current being passed through the water. Higher concentrations of ions and stronger currents will result in a higher rate of conductivity.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting electricity through water without electrodes?

Yes, there are safety concerns when conducting electricity through water without electrodes. This process involves the use of electricity, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to take necessary precautions and follow proper safety protocols when conducting electricity through water without electrodes.