How to continue my studies by not liking physics?

In summary, this individual is struggling with physics and feels like they are not doing well in the class. They are considering dropping the class but want to continue to try to do well. They suggest looking into additional resources (such as the AP Physics C review) to help them prepare for the class.
Geo_Zegarra2018
Hi there, I discovered I don't like physics at all. I'm taking calc based physics and were already on chapter 2 motion on a straight line. Mostly kinematics at this point. We're going to vectors on Monday. I found that physics is not like chemistry. I love chemistry with passion, but with physics is something different. It's like I get bored. I don't want to stop my dream from happening because I don't like physics. My major Meteorology requires it. Should I just keep doing my best and try not to see the negative side of physics? Think of physics as I'm taking chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geo_Zegarra2018 said:
Hi there, I discovered I don't like physics at all. I'm taking calc based physics and were already on chapter 2 motion on a straight line. Mostly kinematics at this point. We're going to vectors on Monday. I found that physics is not like chemistry. I love chemistry with passion, but with physics is something different. It's like I get bored. I don't want to stop my dream from happening because I don't like physics. My major Meteorology requires it. Should I just keep doing my best and try not to see the negative side of physics? Think of physics as I'm taking chemistry?
Keep your current major because you might change your mind . Physics becomes different, maybe better, and should be more interesting as you go. You might also find later that you do not like chemistry as much as you think you do. Right now, you are seeing a very limited view of Physics. It's not all kinematics.

Likes Student100
Chapter 2 of any subject seems a little early to make a judgement call on whether you like it.

That said, I would expect that meteorology would include a lot of physics. Unless it's absolutely painful for you, try to make it through the course before making and judgement calls.

Likes symbolipoint
You say you don't like physics at all but all you've studied is motion on a straight line. Really?

This is similar to making a judgement that you don't like a restaurant as soon as you sat down at a table because you don't like the color of the napkins.

Besides, you have no choice if it is required for your major. So suck it up!

Zz.

Just had a break down when I took my first Physics test. Not sure what happened. I was all ready to go then started to feel like giving up already. Not sure what I will get on my test tomorrow. Is there any way for me to continue and study more? I'm struggling to find other resources that can help me prepare and do other problems besides the book. When I took General Chemistry 1 and 2 I was so lucky to find extra homework problems from a professor in UMASS Boston. If I never found that website I would probably fail chemistry that semester. Do you have any suggestions for me that can work? I'm really struggling with Physics at the moment. I was about to purchase the AP Physics C review but not sure if that will help me.

1. How can I continue my studies if I don't like physics?

As a scientist, I understand that not everyone enjoys every subject they study. However, there are still ways to continue your studies without focusing on physics. Consider exploring other areas of science such as biology or chemistry, or pursuing a degree in a non-science field that still incorporates scientific principles.

2. Can I still have a successful career in science if I don't like physics?

Absolutely! There are many different branches of science and each one requires different skills and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in science, explore different fields and find one that aligns with your passions and strengths.

3. What if my major requires me to take physics courses?

Even if your major requires you to take physics courses, there are still ways to make it more enjoyable for you. Consider finding a study group or tutoring to help you better understand the material, or talk to your professor about alternative assignments that may be more aligned with your interests.

4. How can I motivate myself to study physics even though I don't like it?

As a scientist, I know that sometimes we have to do things we don't necessarily enjoy in order to achieve our goals. It can be helpful to find a personal connection or real-world application to the material, or break up your studying into smaller, more manageable chunks. Remember that perseverance and determination are key to success in any field.

5. Are there any alternative options to studying physics in college?

Yes, there are many alternative options for continuing your education without studying physics. Consider pursuing a trade or technical school, or exploring certificate programs or online courses in a field that aligns more with your interests. It's important to find a path that makes you happy and fulfilled in your studies.