How to convert to the number of sand and Nylon particles from mass

Skw
Homework Statement
In a sample of 1 kg of sand, we add 108 g of Nylon particles (spherical) of diameter 15.5 µm. The concentration is therefore at 108 g/kg (w/w). How would you convert this concentration to express in number of particles/kg of sand ?
Relevant Equations
number of particles = (mass of all particles) / (mass of 1 particle)
mass of 1 particle = volume x density
density of Nylon = 1.14 g/cm3
Vsphere = (4/3)x π x r3
I calculate 4.8x10(^10) particles /kg of sand in the sample. Do you find the same ? Is my solution correct ? How many particles do you find ?
Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Skw,

:welcome:

are you rounding off in a specific manner ?

I do find the exercise wording a bit strange. Concentration is not mass fraction (and mass fraction is not 0.108 but 0.108/1.108). And I wouldn't call 'number of particles/kg of sand' a concentration either.

SI said:
The SI unit of concentration (of amount of substance) is the mole per cubic meter (mol/m3).

##\ ##

BvU said:
Concentration is not mass fraction (and mass fraction is not 0.108 but 0.108/1.108).
IMO we could be talking about the relative concentration/composition, in which the masses could be compared. However, the 0.108 figure doesn't take into account that adding the nylon particles to the sand increases the total quantity of stuff.

Hello @BvU, Hello @Mark44,

Thank you for your replies!

Ah ok thank you for the tip for the concentration in moles per cubic meter, I'll have a thought about it but it looks complicated.

Yes I was rounding to the third decimal (for simplicity) at intermediate stages, otherwise, a closer approximation would be 4.859 x10(^10) particles, so actually a more accurate final rounding to the first decimal would be 4.9 x10(^10) particles rather than 4.8x10(^10).

Do you find the same ?

1. How do I convert mass to the number of sand particles?

To convert mass to the number of sand particles, you first need to determine the density of sand. Once you have the density, you can use the formula: number of particles = mass / (density of sand * volume of one particle).

2. How do I convert mass to the number of Nylon particles?

To convert mass to the number of Nylon particles, you need to know the density of Nylon. Once you have the density, you can use the formula: number of particles = mass / (density of Nylon * volume of one particle).

3. What is the formula to convert mass to the number of sand particles?

The formula to convert mass to the number of sand particles is: number of particles = mass / (density of sand * volume of one particle).

4. What is the formula to convert mass to the number of Nylon particles?

The formula to convert mass to the number of Nylon particles is: number of particles = mass / (density of Nylon * volume of one particle).

5. How can I calculate the volume of one sand or Nylon particle?

To calculate the volume of one sand or Nylon particle, you can measure the dimensions of the particle and use the formula for the volume of a sphere (for spherical particles) or the formula for the volume of a cylinder (for cylindrical particles).