How to cut a surface in ANSYS workbench?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of analyzing a fracture in a surface body and the potential methods for approaching it. The speaker mentions the need to create a no thickness or infinitesimally small cut/slice, and then plans to analyze stress concentration factor in a model environment. The conversation also notes that there is existing research and resources on crack analysis in ANSYS.
Butters
This is more complicated than it sounds. I'd like to analyse a fracture in a surface body so I need to create a no thickness or infinitesimally small cut/slice if it is possible.
Afterwards, I'm planing to analyse stress concentration factor in model environment.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a couple of ways you could approach this, the most obvious being to model a cut/crack which is "small" with respect to the overall model but not "infinitely" small. Crack analysis in ANSYS is a pretty well-defined field, there are lots of papers written about it. Have you done any online searches?

http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ernesto/SPR/Chin-FinalReport.pdf

1. How do I create a surface in ANSYS Workbench?

To create a surface in ANSYS Workbench, go to the "Geometry" tab and select the "Surface" option. Then, choose the type of surface you want to create (e.g. plane, cylinder, sphere) and follow the prompts to define its dimensions and location.

2. How do I cut a surface in ANSYS Workbench?

To cut a surface in ANSYS Workbench, first create a sketch on the surface using the "Sketching" tool. Then, use the "Split" tool to define the cutting edge and select the surface to be cut. Finally, use the "Cut" tool to remove the unwanted portion of the surface.

3. How can I create a smooth surface cut in ANSYS Workbench?

To create a smooth surface cut in ANSYS Workbench, you can use the "Blend" tool. This allows you to blend two surfaces together seamlessly by defining the blending parameters and selecting the surfaces to be blended.

4. How do I split a surface into multiple sections in ANSYS Workbench?

To split a surface into multiple sections in ANSYS Workbench, use the "Split" tool and select the surface to be split. Then, define the cutting edge to split the surface into different sections. You can also use the "Slice" tool to create evenly spaced sections along a surface.

5. Can I cut a surface using an imported CAD model in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, you can cut a surface using an imported CAD model in ANSYS Workbench. Simply import the CAD model into your project and use the "Split" tool to define the cutting edge and select the surface to be cut. You can also use the "Boolean" tool to cut multiple surfaces simultaneously.