Plate Fin Simulation in Ansys Workbench 14.5

In summary: For instance, if the tip is really cold and the base is really hot, you might expect a lot of heat to flow out of the fin.
shaun1
Hi all,

I have started learning ansys workbench for steady state heat transfer based analysis.

I am doing this analysis to validate analytical results given for heat transfer from a single plate fin.
The fin tip is given a base temperature and heat transfer is calculated for natural convection considering a given volume for the plate fin in order to optimize its dimensions for maximum heat transfer. The analytical method was followed from the paper by R.Karvinen and T.Karvinen.

Title : " Optimum geometry of fixed volume plate fin for maximizing heat transfer".

As per the analytical relations, the heat flux for the fin is calculated by considering an isothermal fin with an insulated fin tip boundary condition. The value of the flux obtained is 7 W/m^2.

Fin Dimensions (optimized) : L (vertical length) x l (horizontal dimension) x 2to (thickness) = 0.08 x 0.09 x 0.000552 (all dimensions in metre)
to=half thickness

Fin Base Temperature : 125℃
Ambient Temperature : 25℃
Fluid Properties were obtained for mean film temperature i.e. 75℃

I will try to give the steps I followed in ansys to try to validate the analytical result.

1. I created the geometry in solidworks giving the above dimensions.
2. In engineering data, I created a new material with isotropic thermal conductivity 237 W/m*K
3. For the model, I accepted the default meshing given by the software.
4. Initial temperature was specified as 25℃.
5. Following are the conditions I specified in the analysis settings.
- Base Temperature 125℃.
- Perfectly insulated condition for the three small faces. (top,bottom and tip)
(Their areas : l x 2to for top and bottom faces and L x 2to for the tip)
- Convection at 25℃ for the remaining two faces (Area L x l).
- For an isothermal fin, I selected all the six faces and specified a temperature of 125℃ for them.
6. After getting the solution, I obtained the results for total heat flux and got the results in the range of 8.45*10^-6 to 2.98*10^-10 W/m^2. The analytical results gave a value of 7W/m^2 as specified above.

The analytical calculations have been checked and were found to be correct.

Could someone point out my mistake in doing the analysis ? I am doubtful about the isothermal condition as I just have manually selected all the faces and given the temperature. Is there any provision in work-bench to specify an isothermal fin ?

Thanks.

(I am attaching an image of the dimensional representation for the fin and the results image for heat flux.).

Attachments

• ansys.jpg
    ansys.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 923
  • fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 650
Engineering news on Phys.org
You gave us a lot of data, but you didn't mention the heat transfer coefficient for the convection between the fin and the air.

If your answers are ridiculously low, maybe you didn't include convection the model and you are only modeling heat conduction between the fin and the air?

The heat transfer coefficient is 14 Wm^2K. And I gave the convection setting for the two large faces of the fin.

shaun1 said:
The heat transfer coefficient is 14 Wm^2K.

That's the right order of magnitude for free convection between the fin and air.

Ah... I just had a face-palm moment. Is your 10^-6 the total heat flux into the fin - i.e the difference between what flows in through the base and what flows out? That number should be zero, once you get to a steady state.

Otherwise, look at the temperature distribution in the fin and check it against common sense.

1. What is Plate Fin Simulation in Ansys Workbench 14.5?

Plate Fin Simulation in Ansys Workbench 14.5 is a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tool that allows researchers and engineers to simulate and analyze the flow and heat transfer characteristics of plate fin structures. It is a powerful tool for designing and optimizing heat exchangers, electronic cooling systems, and other applications involving heat transfer through fins.

2. How does Plate Fin Simulation work?

Plate Fin Simulation works by creating a virtual model of the plate fin structure in Ansys Workbench 14.5, defining the boundary conditions and material properties, and then solving the governing equations of fluid flow and heat transfer using numerical methods. The results are then visualized in the form of contour plots, animations, and other graphical representations to analyze the behavior of the system.

3. What are the benefits of using Plate Fin Simulation?

Plate Fin Simulation offers several benefits, including the ability to accurately predict the performance of plate fin structures, reduce the time and cost of physical prototyping, and optimize design parameters for improved efficiency. It also allows for the evaluation of different fin geometries and operating conditions, providing valuable insights for design improvements.

4. Can Plate Fin Simulation be used for other types of structures?

While Plate Fin Simulation is specifically designed for plate fin structures, the underlying principles and methods can be applied to other types of heat transfer systems, such as heat sinks, heat pipes, and microchannels. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity and applicability of the assumptions used.

5. Is Plate Fin Simulation suitable for all types of simulations?

No, Plate Fin Simulation is best suited for steady-state simulations involving laminar or turbulent flow and conduction-dominated heat transfer. It may not be suitable for transient simulations or systems with complex flow phenomena such as turbulence, phase change, or multiphase flow. In such cases, other specialized CFD tools may be more appropriate.