How to Derive PdV=RdT/(1-δ) from the Polytropic Process Constant Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of heat transferred and final pressure for an ideal gas undergoing reversible compression from 1 bar to P2 bar and a temperature increase from 400 K to 950 K. The path followed by the gas is given by PV1.55=Constant and the molar heat capacity is given by Cp/R=3.85+0.57×10-3T. The solution involves using the first law of thermodynamics, solving for dQ and dW, and using the ideal gas law and polytropic process steps to arrive at the final expression for work.
HethensEnd25

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal gas is reversibly compressed from 1 bar to P2
bar that results in temperature increase from 400 K to 950 K. Calculate the heat
transferred during the process and the final pressure, if the path followed by the gas can
be given by PV1.55 = , and the molar heat capacity of the gas is given by

Cp/R = 3.85 + 0.57×10-3T (where T is in K)

Homework Equations

dU=dQ+dW

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt at a solution.

1. I used the first law of thermodynamics to get

dU=dQ+dW

solving for dQ

dQ=dU-dW ===> dQ=CvdT+PdV

2. Using Ideal gas solved for T then differentiated

RdT=PdV +VdP

3. It was given that PV1.55=Constant

I know since it is a real number I can use steps of a polytropic process

PVδ=Constant

This is where I am getting hung up. My books steps to solution say that using

RdT=PdV +VdP
solving for PdV

is the next step to solve the above expression PVδ=Constant.

It then says that PδVδ-1dV=-VδdP from which VdP=-PδdV

My question is how did they derive that expression from the PVδ=Constant

the end result being that

PdV=RdT/(1-δ)

Any and all help clarifying this for me would be greatly appreciated I have other formula that are all plug and chug but I would rather understand the steps involved in solving the problem with these constants.

Best Regards,

D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HethensEnd25 said:
This is where I am getting hung up. My books steps to solution say that using

RdT=PdV +VdP solving for PdV

is the next step to solve the above expression PVδ=Constant.
What do you mean by "solve the above expression"? Solve it for what?

It then says that PδVδ-1dV=-VδdP from which VdP=-PδdV

My question is how did they derive that expression from the PVδ=Constant
Hint: Consider the multivariable function ##f(p,V) = \text{constant}##. If you differentiate it, you get
$$df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial p}dP + \frac{\partial f}{\partial V}dV = 0.$$

vela said:
What do you mean by "solve the above expression"? Solve it for what?
I am trying to use that PVδ=constant

The book uses that to get the term of work into a term where the n factor can be used.

Here is a picture of part of the solution I am referring to and it has the part in question highlighted

problem.png
My question is how are they coming to that answer for work from that expression? Is it from your hint?

vela said:
Hint: Consider the multivariable function f(p,V)=constantf(p,V) = \text{constant}. If you differentiate it, you get
df=∂f∂pdP+∂f∂VdV=0.​
This is what I was looking for thank you!

1. What is a polytropic process?

A polytropic process is a thermodynamic process in which the relationship between pressure and volume can be described by the equation P^n = constant, where n is the polytropic index. This means that the process can be represented by a straight line on a log-log plot of pressure versus volume.

2. What is the polytropic index?

The polytropic index, denoted by the letter n, is a measure of the relationship between pressure and volume in a polytropic process. It can take on different values depending on the conditions of the process and is typically determined experimentally.

3. How is a polytropic process different from an isothermal process?

In an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant while the pressure and volume change. However, in a polytropic process, the polytropic index n is not equal to 1, which means that the temperature is not constant and may change during the process.

4. What are some examples of polytropic processes?

Some examples of polytropic processes include the compression or expansion of a gas in a piston-cylinder system, the compression or expansion of air in a compressor or turbine, and the expansion or compression of air in a gas spring.

5. What are the applications of polytropic processes?

Polytropic processes are used in various industrial and engineering applications, such as in gas compression and expansion systems, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and in the operation of internal combustion engines. They are also studied in thermodynamics to gain a better understanding of the behavior of gases in different processes.