How to describe complicated dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between velocity and volt, and how the SI gurus chose Amps instead of Coulombs as a basic unit. This is because it is easier to measure current compared to measuring charge. The conversation also suggests that the definition of an Ampere is based on current while the definition of the Coulomb is based on charge. Furthermore, the definition of the Newton is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a suggestion to find a simple and useful way to factorise the dimensions of the volt.
NODARman
TL;DR Summary
Hi, just wondering if the dimension of velocity is m/s that can be described as what distance is passed in a specific time, then how can I describe volt which is kg•m²÷s³÷A? Mass in the area that moved...
I can't even imagine.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It makes more intuitive sense to me if you substitute ##A=\frac{C}{s}##, electric charge per second. Then you can have ##V=\frac{[kg⋅(\frac{m}{sec^2})]⋅m}{C}## which is like Work (=force⋅distance) per Coulomb.

Likes Ibix and NODARman
BTW, why did the SI gurus choose Amps instead of Coulombs as a basic unit? Charge seems to me to be as basic as it gets.

DaveE said:
BTW, why did the SI gurus choose Amps instead of Coulombs as a basic unit? Charge seems to me to be as basic as it gets.
I think it was because when SI units were first introduced it was much, much easier to accurately measure current compared to measuring charge.

Likes vanhees71, berkeman, anorlunda and 1 other person
Anyway, I think the more general answer is to try to regroup all of those dimensions into things that are more intuitive, like force, acceleration, charge, etc.

Likes vanhees71 and NODARman
Why is there a kg?

What is the definition of an Ampere?
What is the definition of the Coulomb?
Whats' the definition of the Newton?

DaveE said:
BTW, why did the SI gurus choose Amps instead of Coulombs
Easier to realize the standard. Measuring current is a lot easier than measuring charge.

Likes vanhees71
NODARman said:
... then how can I describe volt which is kg ·m² /s³ /A ?
There are many ways to factorise the dimensions of the volt.
Pick one that is simple and useful.
volt = joule / coulomb .

Likes NODARman and berkeman
DaveE said:
BTW, why did the SI gurus choose Amps instead of Coulombs as a basic unit?
The force between two wires, in a current balance, is proportional to the product of the currents.
amp = coulomb / second

Likes NODARman

1. What are the different types of dimensions?

Dimensions can be divided into two main types: spatial dimensions and temporal dimensions. Spatial dimensions refer to length, width, and height, while temporal dimensions refer to time.

2. How do we describe higher dimensions?

Higher dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions that we experience in our everyday lives are often described using mathematical models such as string theory or M-theory. These models propose the existence of extra dimensions that are too small to be observed directly.

3. Can dimensions be curved?

Yes, dimensions can be curved. This concept is known as curvature and is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. In this theory, the three spatial dimensions are considered to be curved by the presence of massive objects.

4. How do we measure dimensions?

Dimensions are typically measured using units such as meters for length, seconds for time, and degrees for angles. In higher dimensions, mathematical tools such as tensors and matrices are used to measure and describe the properties of these dimensions.

5. What is the difference between dimensions and coordinates?

Dimensions and coordinates are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Dimensions refer to the physical extent of an object, while coordinates refer to the numerical values used to locate a specific point within those dimensions. For example, the dimensions of a cube may be described as length, width, and height, while the coordinates of a specific point on the cube may be given as (x, y, z) values.