How to determine angular velocity about a certain axis?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the definition of angular velocity and how it is represented in polar coordinates. It is determined that the angular velocity must always be the tangential speed at a distance from the center of rotation. It is also concluded that the angular velocity of the insect at any instant is the same as that of the disk.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
A disk is rotating counter clockwise at an angular speed of ##\omega## in a horizontal plane about its center. A small insect at its center starts to crawl outwards at a constant speed of ##v## relative to disk in a radial direction. What will be the angular velocity ( i.e. magnitude and direction) of the crawling insect at any instant?
Relevant Equations
v=wr
If the crawling insect were stationary at a certain instant of time, then it would have the same angular velocity as that of disk, which is w in a clockwise direction. But now it's velocity at any instant is the vector sum of velocity due to rotation and the velocity it crawls at. My attempt is as shown below.

CamScanner 04-24-2021 14.01.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of angular velocity? How it is represented in polar coordinates?

PeroK said:
What's the definition of angular velocity?

The definition is as below.

Angular velocity = ##\dfrac {d\theta} {dt} ##

PeroK said:
How it is represented in polar coordinates?

This part is not clear. I know the polar coordinates at any instant for insect will be ##(r,\theta)##.

vcsharp2003 said:
The definition is as below.

Angular velocity = ##\dfrac {d\theta} {dt} ##
Isn't that your answer? That is using polar coordinates.

PeroK said:

Yes, since ##\theta## is one of the polar coordinates.

PeroK said:

It seems that the radius vector ##\vec r## is rotating at the angular velocity of the disk.
So the insect will also be having an angular velocity of w in a counter clockwise direction.
Is that the correct logic?

vcsharp2003 said:
It seems that the radius vector ##\vec r## is rotating at the angular velocity of the disk.
So the insect will also be having an angular velocity of w in a counter clockwise direction.
It must be.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
Can I chip-in? - as it sounds like you may not be entirely convinced/confident.

Imagine a radius drawn on the disc and the insect walks along this radius.

During any time-interval Δt, the angular displacements of the disc and insect must be identical - because they are both the same as the angular displacement of the radius, Δθ.

Likes vcsharp2003 and hutchphd
Steve4Physics said:
Imagine a radius drawn on the disc and the insect walks along this radius.

Yes, that makes it easier to understand since the drawn radius undergoes the same angular displacement as the disk. Very neat!

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
It must be.
I am trying an alternative approach as explained below. It seems correct to me.

In the formula, ##v ={\omega} \, r##, can we say that ##v## must always be the tangential speed at a distance ##r## from center of a rotating point?

If yes, then using the relative velocity vector diagram shown in my attempted solution, it can be said that ## V_{d}## is the tangential component of ##V_{i}##. Hence ##V_{d} = {\omega}_{i} \, r ##. It then follows that ##{\omega}_{i} = \dfrac {V_{d}} {r}=\dfrac { {\omega} \, r} {r} = {\omega} ##.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
I am trying an alternative approach as explained below. It seems correct to me.

In the formula, ##v ={\omega} \, r##, can we say that ##v## must always be the tangential speed at a distance ##r## from center of a rotating point?

If yes, then using the relative velocity vector diagram shown in my attempted solution, it can be said that ## V_{d}## is the tangential component of ##V_{i}##. Hence ##V_{d} = {\omega}_{i} \, r ##. It then follows that ##{\omega}_{i} = \dfrac {V_{d}} {r}=\dfrac { {\omega} \, r} {r} = {\omega} ##.

The above fact of ##v## being tangential speed is absolutely correct according to some textbooks I consulted. Therefore, my approach as mentioned in post#10 is correct and an alternative approach to proving that angular velocity of insect at any instant is the same as angular velocity of disk.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It describes how quickly an object is rotating around a certain axis.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. How does the direction of rotation affect angular velocity?

The direction of rotation does not affect the magnitude of angular velocity, but it does affect the sign. Clockwise rotation has a positive angular velocity, while counterclockwise rotation has a negative angular velocity.

5. How can you determine the angular velocity about a specific axis?

To determine the angular velocity about a specific axis, you need to measure the angular displacement of the object around that axis and divide it by the change in time. This will give you the angular velocity around that particular axis.