How to determine characteristic length?

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of characteristic lengths for Reynold's, Grashof, Nusselt, and Biot numbers, but the method of obtaining them was not provided in the notes. The individual would like to know how to determine these characteristic lengths for a plane wall, cylinder, and sphere. They are advised to do a search online and consult resources such as the Incropera textbook for more information.
goggles31
There are characteristic lengths for Reynold's, Grashof, Nusselt, and Biot number but the method of obtaining them is not given in my notes. I would like to know how to do so for a plane wall, cylinder and sphere. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
goggles31 said:
There are characteristic lengths for Reynold's, Grashof, Nusselt, and Biot number but the method of obtaining them is not given in my notes. I would like to know how to do so for a plane wall, cylinder and sphere. Thank you.
Have you tried a search, and see to where that leads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot_number
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nusselt_number
etc. as a starter.

A pipe, for example, would have a Reynold's characteristic length of its diameter.

The biot number characteristic length is volume/(eternl surface).
For convention problems the characteristic lengths are in according to the correlation u are using. Normaly They are the Most intuitive ones. I suggest you to look for the incropera textbook. U can find the pdf version easily searching on Google.

Likes goggles31

1. What is characteristic length?

Characteristic length is a parameter used in various scientific and engineering fields to describe the size or scale of a system. It is typically a measure of the average distance or size of the system in relation to its overall dimensions.

2. How is characteristic length determined?

The determination of characteristic length depends on the specific system or phenomenon being studied. In general, it involves analyzing the geometry, size, and other relevant factors of the system and using mathematical equations or experimental techniques to calculate or measure the characteristic length.

3. Why is characteristic length important?

Characteristic length is an important parameter because it helps scientists and engineers to understand and describe the behavior of a system. It can also be used in the development and testing of mathematical models and simulations, as well as in the design and optimization of various structures and processes.

4. Can characteristic length change?

Yes, characteristic length can change depending on the conditions of the system or the specific aspect being studied. For example, in fluid dynamics, characteristic length may change with variations in flow rate or density. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions when determining characteristic length.

5. What are some common examples of characteristic length?

Characteristic length can be found in various systems and phenomena, such as the length of a pendulum in oscillation, the diameter of a pipe in fluid flow, or the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave. It can also be used to describe the size of objects, such as the wingspan of an airplane or the diameter of a blood vessel.