How to Determine Moment of Inertia by Integration: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, to determine the moment of inertia of the shaded area with respect to the y axis, you will need to use the formula I_y = \int x^2 dA. To start the problem, you will need to determine the variable of integration and express the variables in the formula in terms of the independent variables. Then, you will integrate over the region using the variable that is orthogonal to the axis of rotation. This formula can be derived from the moment of inertia of a region with unit density and a defined axis of rotation. You can choose to slice parallel or perpendicular to the axis, but it is recommended to slice parallel and integrate with respect to the variable perpendicular to the axis.
drunknfox

Homework Statement

Determine by direct integration the moment of inertia of the shaded area with respect to the y axis

http://imgur.com/O0Fu6

Homework Equations

Ix = &int y^2 dA Iy= &int x^2 dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this problem. some practice examples use y=b x=a but that does not work because the parenthesis turn to 0. I just need help starting the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]I_y = \int x^2 dA[/tex]
What is dA? dA = area of the slice you are adding up, probabily dA = [f(x) - 0]dx since you are given a region bound by y=f(x) and y=0.

In general, you'll integrate over the region and you must determine your variable of integration.

You then express the variables in the formula in terms of the independent variables.

You'll then do the integration.

As a rule you will typically find it best to integrate with respect to the variable(s) orthogonal to the axis of rotation for a given moment of inertia. The reason being, as you set up that integral via Riemann sums, the slices will consist of points all the same distance from the axis of rotation.

These formulas derive from the moment of inertia in a more general context. Given a region with unit density and with some defined axis or rotation, then the moment of inertia about that axis is the sum of the moments of inertia of all the pieces when you chop it up via Riemann sums.

[tex] I_{axis} = \int dI [/tex]
where dI is the moment of inertia of each infinitesimal piece.

If you're slicing parallel to the axis then dI = r^2 times dm where dm is the differential mass, (typically density times differential area or volume hence = dA in your case)
and r is the distance of that piece from the axis.

If you're slicing perpendicular to the axis then dI will be the formula for the moment of inertial of a stick of infinitesimal thickness swung about an axis and I won't go into it. Pick slicing parallel to the axis and hence integrate w.r.t the variable running perp. to the axis, or wait until Calc III when you can do a multiple integral, i.e. dice the region up into point sized pieces.

Related to How to Determine Moment of Inertia by Integration: Step-by-Step Guide

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation.

2. Why is it important to determine moment of inertia?

Knowing the moment of inertia of an object is important in understanding its rotational motion and how it will respond to external forces. It is also a crucial factor in designing machines and structures that need to rotate or maintain stability.

3. How do you calculate moment of inertia using integration?

The formula for moment of inertia using integration is I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the element of mass dm. This integral must be taken over the entire mass of the object.

4. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive quantity since it is based on the square of the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. Are there any specific units for moment of inertia?

The standard unit for moment of inertia is kg*m^2. However, depending on the units used for mass and distance, other units such as g*cm^2 or lb*in^2 can also be used.