Trying to understand electromagnetism

In summary, the first problem is a special case of the problem of EM field around a point particle that follows a specific trajectory and the second problem can be simplified a lot if we make the simplifying assumption that the EM wave emitted by the accelerating (under the influence of the EM wave) electron is negligible. Then the electron simply does harmonic motion.
vasya said:
Homework Statement:: -
Relevant Equations:: -

I want to determine an electric and magnetic field vectors in any arbitrary point in any time.
##E=\frac {kq} {r^2}##

##B=\frac {\mu I} {2 \pi r}##

• Wow
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
vasya said:
Homework Statement:: -
Relevant Equations:: -

Hi! I'm trying to understand electromagnetism. Please help me.
Say we have an electron start moving a sine wave like pattern along z axis with amplitude of 1m up and down with frequency equal to 100Mhz. I want to determine an electric and magnetic field vectors in any arbitrary point in any time. But as far as I understand this requires knowledge about every other point in space in every previous time frame. I know what is divergence and curl (not fully, but somehow). I know meaning of maxwell equations. But all of these still is not enough for understanding em waves I want to be able to create em field simulations in something like MATLAB.
Google 'dipole radiation pattern'.
It matches your problem and caters to your visual orientation...

##\ ##

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
Assuming we have the resources of intelligence, mathematical ability, money and time, it would be frustrating to finally discover that Maxwell did not actually say how to create an EM wave.

• Informative
Likes vasya and Delta2
vasya said:
Say we have an electron start moving a sine wave like pattern along z axis with amplitude of 1m up and down with frequency equal to 100Mhz. I want to determine an electric and magnetic field vectors in any arbitrary point in any time. But as far as I understand this requires knowledge about every other point in space in every previous time frame. I know what is divergence and curl (not fully, but somehow). I know meaning of maxwell equations. But all of these still is not enough for understanding em waves I want to be able to create em field simulations in something like MATLAB.
I think you have bitten off way more than you can chew here, and I'm not sure how much insight into E&M solving this problem will actually give you. Nevertheless, if you want to persist, I suggest you first look into a simpler problem—numerical solutions of Laplace's equation, ##\nabla^2 V=0##, for example—to get ideas for what you might try.

Likes vasya and Delta2