How to determine the effect of counterforce on the angle of force

In summary, the goal of ritual slaughter is to make the killing as quick and painless as possible, while still fulfilling the requirements of halakhah. A formula to determine the direction of force in a given cut would be helpful in order to make the killing as quick and painless as possible.
avgr
Homework Statement
I am a in Rabbinical college and this question came up. In the laws of ritual slaughter to be a valid slaughter the pressure on the knife must be at a 45 degree angle or less in the downward direction. In other words more or equal force going across the neck than downwards into the neck. What formula would show the effect the counterforce of the neck will have on the direction the knife is moving?
Relevant Equations
I am unsure of which equations I would need to use
Can anyone help me with a formula that would show the effect the counterforce of the neck will have on the direction the knife is moving, to be able to determine what a cut in a given direction what will be its direction of force?
(I apologize for not following the guidelines for homework questions, as that wasn't possible for this type of question.)

Physics news on Phys.org
avgr said:
Homework Statement:: I am a in Rabbinical college and this question came up. In the laws of ritual slaughter to be a valid slaughter the pressure on the knife must be at a 45 degree angle or less in the downward direction. In other words more or equal force going across the neck than downwards into the neck. What formula would show the effect the counterforce of the neck will have on the direction the knife is moving?
Relevant Equations:: I am unsure of which equations I would need to use

Can anyone help me with a formula that would show the effect the counterforce of the neck will have on the direction the knife is moving, to be able to determine what a cut in a given direction what will be its direction of force?
(I apologize for not following the guidelines for homework questions, as that wasn't possible for this type of question.)
Welcome to the PF.

You win a prize for one of the more unusual study questions ever... Keep in mind that the thread may be shut down at some point, since the subject matter may be offensive to some of our members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_slaughter#Jewish_and_Islamic_ritual_slaughter

I'm not seeing the 45 degree downward direction requirement in the Wikipedia link (there must be different kinds?). Can you post a link to the requirements you are asking about? I would imagine the goal is to make the killing of the animal as quick and painless as possible.

An odd parallel to this question is the martial art cutting demonstrations where a student would lay on his back on a bed of nails. Another student or more likely the sensei would strike the stomach of the prone student without cutting the student. The trick is to not slide the blade during the strike and nothing will be cut.

Another would be the optimal katana striking angle. There is no formula provided although 45 degrees is common:

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Katana-Properly#:~:text=Hold the katana on the,of you at chest level.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

You win a prize for one of the more unusual study questions ever... Keep in mind that the thread may be shut down at some point, since the subject matter may be offensive to some of our members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritual_slaughter#Jewish_and_Islamic_ritual_slaughter

I'm not seeing the 45 degree downward direction requirement in the Wikipedia link (there must be different kinds?). Can you post a link to the requirements you are asking about? I would imagine the goal is to make the killing of the animal as quick and painless as possible.

This

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shechita#Forbidden_techniques see drasah. The details of drasah is not elaborated there, it is too broad a topic.

And you are correct, one reason is to make the slaughter as painless to the animal as possible.
(On the aside the slaughter necessitates cutting the carotid artery, which disconnects blood flow to the brain. The animal goes unconscious before the brain can register the cut of its nerves. There is no pain what so ever. See The Coming Revolution by Rabbi Zamir Cohen, Ritual Shechita.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to determine the effect of counterforce on the angle of force

1. How do you measure the angle of force?

The angle of force can be measured using a protractor or a goniometer. These tools allow for precise measurement of the angle between the applied force and the surface on which it is acting.

2. What is the counterforce and how does it affect the angle of force?

The counterforce is the opposing force that acts in the opposite direction of the applied force. It can come from various sources, such as gravity or friction. The presence of a counterforce can change the direction and magnitude of the applied force, thus affecting the angle of force.

3. How do you determine the magnitude of the counterforce?

The magnitude of the counterforce can be determined through experimentation and calculations. For example, in the case of friction, the coefficient of friction between two surfaces can be used to calculate the magnitude of the counterforce.

4. What are some factors that can influence the effect of counterforce on the angle of force?

Some factors that can influence the effect of counterforce on the angle of force include the type and magnitude of the applied force, the surface on which the force is acting, and the presence of other external forces.

5. How can you control for the effect of counterforce in an experiment?

To control for the effect of counterforce in an experiment, it is important to identify and measure all the forces acting on the system. This can be achieved by using appropriate tools and techniques, such as force sensors and mathematical calculations. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and taking an average of the results can help to minimize the impact of counterforce on the angle of force.