How to distinguish r and gamma, w and omega, v and nu?

In summary, it is important to pay attention to the context and conventions when distinguishing between similar looking characters in mathematical formulas, such as ##r## and ##\gamma##, ##w## and ##\omega##, ##v## and ##\nu##, and ##\upsilon##. This can be challenging for those coming from languages that use different alphabets. However, with practice and memorization, it becomes easier to differentiate between these characters. Additionally, some characters may be used as variable indices in complex equations, adding to the confusion.
Haorong Wu
How to distinguish ##r## and ##\gamma##, ##w## and ##\omega##, ##v## and ##\nu## and ##\upsilon##?

They look very similar. Are there some rules that I should use one of them in some specific cases?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
How to distinguish ##r## and ##\gamma##, ##w## and ##\omega##, ##v## and ##\nu## and ##\upsilon##?

They look very similar. Are there some rules that I should use one of them in some specific cases?

No they don't. Not when written like you did in Latex...

There's also
[itex] \rho [/itex] and [itex] p [/itex], [itex] \chi [/itex] and [itex] x [/itex], [itex] \kappa [/itex] and [itex] k [/itex], [itex] \tau [/itex] and [itex] T [/itex],
[itex] \gamma [/itex] and [itex] Y [/itex] , [itex] \eta [/itex] and [itex] n [/itex], [itex] \beta [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex], [itex] \epsilon [/itex] and [itex] E [/itex],
and, finally, (iota) [itex] \iota [/itex] and [itex] i [/itex] and (omicron) [itex] \omicron [/itex] and [itex] o [/itex] and (upsilon) [itex] \upsilon [/itex] and [itex] u[/itex] or [itex] v [/itex].

If handwritten, the chance for confusion is higher.

What's sometimes annoying is having people call [itex] \rho [/itex] "[itex] p [/itex]", etc..

It's probably best to stick to common conventions.
I like to spell out the letter if I feel that confusion can arise.
e.g., the pressure [itex] p [/itex] and the density (rho) [itex] \rho [/itex] are related by [itex] p = p_0 +\rho g h [/itex]

It's the Westerners' revenge for having to learn hundreds of characters when studying Chinese. :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes Mono field, Haorong Wu, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
More seriously, I think there are two different things that you need to watch for, coming from a language such as Chinese:

1. In textbooks and in LaTeX, mathematical formulas use the Latin alphabet in a different font (typeface) than in ordinary print:

Math: ##a\, b\, c\, d\, e\, f\, g\, h\, i\, j\, k\, l\, m\, n\, o\, p\, q\, r\, s\, t\, u\, v\, w\, x\, y\, z##
Ordinary print: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

2. Mathematical formulas often use the Greek alphabet which is different from the Latin alphabet.

Greek math: ##\alpha\, \beta\, \gamma\, \delta\, \cdots##

You simply have to become familiar with the Greek alphabet and pay attention to characters which look similar to (but not identical with) Latin characters, e.g. ##\omega## "omega" versus ##w## "double-u" (in English; other languages have different names for it), or ##\rho## "rho" versus ##p## (p). My (American) students in introductory physics classes also often had trouble with these. Also with ##\kappa## "kappa" versus ##k## (k), and ##\alpha## "alpha" versus ##a## (a). It simply needs practice and memorization.

Likes Mono field
Haorong Wu said:

It is not possible except by knowing the convention and context. I had a lecturer who did not know or did not want to pronounce ##\xi## the conventional way, and called it "squiggle". It was fine as everyone understood the physics he intended to communicate.

Likes etotheipi and wukunlin
I had the misfortune to be the first English person two Greek students saw after they worked out that when us English people said "fie" we meant ##\phi##. It's apparently pronounced more like "fee", although with a shorter e sound. I have a feeling I could have learned quite a lot of bad language in Greek that day... It had been quite a problem for them because there was (to them) a mismatch between what was being said and what was being written.

I must say that if I'm using ##v## for velocity I'll typically use ##f## for frequency instead of ##\nu## to avoid confusion. And I hate working with the dust stress-energy tensor because it's ##\mathrm{diag}(\rho,p,p,p)## and I have to be very careful not to mix up density and pressure.

I suppose that all I'm really offering is sympathy. You do get used to knowing that people use rho for density, and then you're primed to look for the difference (the top left of a ##p## is different to a ##\rho##).

Do physicists or mathematicians actually use ##\upsilon## (lower-case Greek upsilon) for anything? I can't remember any examples. Of course, I'm familiar with ##\Upsilon## (upper-case upsilon) as the name of a particle.

I've seen it used as a variable index in really gnarly equations.

robphy said:
There's also
[itex] \rho [/itex] and [itex] p [/itex], [itex] \chi [/itex] and [itex] x [/itex], [itex] \kappa [/itex] and [itex] k [/itex], [itex] \tau [/itex] and [itex] T [/itex],
[itex] \gamma [/itex] and [itex] Y [/itex] , [itex] \eta [/itex] and [itex] n [/itex], [itex] \beta [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex], [itex] \epsilon [/itex] and [itex] E [/itex],
and, finally, (iota) [itex] \iota [/itex] and [itex] i [/itex] and (omicron) [itex] \omicron [/itex] and [itex] o [/itex] and (upsilon) [itex] \upsilon [/itex] and [itex] u[/itex] or [itex] v [/itex].

If handwritten, the chance for confusion is higher.

What's sometimes annoying is having people call [itex] \rho [/itex] "[itex] p [/itex]", etc..

It's probably best to stick to common conventions.
I like to spell out the letter if I feel that confusion can arise.
e.g., the pressure [itex] p [/itex] and the density (rho) [itex] \rho [/itex] are related by [itex] p = p_0 +\rho g h [/itex]

I wonder whether there is a table listing convention usages.

After all, when I continue reading more and more textbooks, there are more and more symbols and quantities that I am not so familiar with as ##\rho## for density, ##p## for pressure, etc. It is difficult for me to clearly figure out which symbol I am encountered.

Haorong Wu said:
I wonder whether there is a table listing convention usages.

After all, when I continue reading more and more textbooks, there are more and more symbols and quantities that I am not so familiar with as ##\rho## for density, ##p## for pressure, etc. It is difficult for me to clearly figure out which symbol I am encountered.
A decent textbook should at least define its symbols and conventions... and this varies among specializations.

Not necessarily definitive... but possibly useful : https://physics.info/symbols/

1. How can I tell the difference between the letters r and gamma?

The main difference between r and gamma is the direction that the curved line faces. The letter r has a curved line facing towards the right, while gamma has a curved line facing towards the left.

2. What is the best way to distinguish between w and omega?

The key difference between w and omega is the number of curves in the letter. W has two curves, while omega has three. Additionally, the curves in w are symmetrical, while the curves in omega are asymmetrical.

3. How can I differentiate between v and nu?

The main difference between v and nu is the position of the lines. V has two lines that are parallel and equal in length, while nu has two lines that are not parallel and one is longer than the other.

4. Is there a trick to telling the difference between these letters?

One helpful tip to distinguish between these letters is to look at the overall shape and symmetry of the letter. Additionally, practicing writing and recognizing these letters can also improve your ability to differentiate between them.

5. Can font or handwriting affect the appearance of these letters?

Yes, the font or handwriting style can play a role in the appearance of these letters. Some fonts may make it easier to distinguish between them, while others may make them look more similar. It is important to pay attention to the overall shape and structure of the letter rather than just the font or handwriting style.