How to do a finite series in Excel in one row?

• Thread starter h1a8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
h1a8
I totally forgot how to do this (it's been a long while). I'm thinking it was "=sumproduct" feature? Anyway I'm trying to find the sum of cuberoot(exp(sin(arctan(3x^2+2x-3))))) from x=1 to x=1,000,000 in excel. I believe you input ranges for the variable x. I'm not sure. I accidentally deleted my work.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
nvm, i figured it out.
I use "=SUMPRODUCT". In the place of "x" just put "ROW(1:1,000,000)"
So for Sum([e^sin(atan(ln(3x^2+2x-3)))]^(1/3),x,1,1,000,000) just do:

=SUMPRODUCT(POWER(EXP(SIN(ATAN(LN(3*POWER(ROW(1:1000000),2)+2*ROW(1:1000000)-3)))),1/3))

Likes berkeman

1. How can I sum a finite series in Excel using one row?

To sum a finite series in Excel in one row, you can use the SUM function. For example, if you want to sum the series from A1 to A10, you would enter the formula =SUM(A1:A10) in a cell.

2. Can I generate a series of numbers in Excel in one row?

Yes, you can generate a series of numbers in one row by using Excel's fill handle. Enter the first few numbers of the series in consecutive cells, select those cells, and then drag the fill handle (a small square at the bottom right corner of the selection) across the row to fill the series.

3. How do I apply a function to a series of values in one row in Excel?

To apply a function to a series of values in one row, you can use array formulas. For instance, if you want to square numbers in cells A1 to A10 and sum them, you would enter =SUM(A1:A10^2) and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to make it an array formula.

4. Is it possible to calculate the average of a series in one row in Excel?

Yes, to calculate the average of a series in one row, use the AVERAGE function. For example, =AVERAGE(A1:A10) will give you the average of values from cell A1 to A10.

5. How can I find the maximum or minimum value in a series in one row?

To find the maximum or minimum value in a series in one row, use the MAX or MIN function respectively. For instance, =MAX(A1:A10) will return the highest value, and =MIN(A1:A10) will return the lowest value in the range from A1 to A10.