How to efficiently post questions related to paper material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of replies to the poster's questions regarding paper material. The poster wonders if they should be more direct and also expresses a desire for more discussion. Another person suggests distilling the questions down and also helping others in order to receive more help in return. Additionally, it is advised to not post questions as pictures and to put the question first with background workings as a footnote.
JD_PM
Hi guys.Lately I have been posting questions related to paper material and I am getting no replies (here, here and here).

I am convinced it's not only due to the difficulty of the topic but the way I am posting it. Should I "go to the point"?

Honestly, it's also acceptable that people only give guesses. What I miss is discussion.

What's your advice?

This is the first time that I experience something like that on PF (three posts in a row without reply).Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You';re asking a lot. "Read the paper. Read what I wrote. Figure out what I don't understand. And if you're not fast enough, volunteer, I'll complain about it on another thread." That's a big, big ask.

I'd suggest the following:
  • Spend as much time as you can distilling your uncertainty down to the essentials. Don't make the people you want to help do as much work.
  • Help other people. It's not all about you. If you have a reputation as someone who helps others, people will cut you more slack on your own questions.

Likes pbuk and JD_PM
JD_PM said:
Lately I have been posting questions related to paper material and I am getting no replies
What's your advice?
Don't post questions as pictures. Apart from being hard to read it takes extra time to answer - see the trouble I had to go to here?

And if you have a simple question with a lot of background workings it can be a good idea to put the question first and add the workings as a footnote: see what I have done here?

Likes JD_PM

1. How can I make sure my question is clear and specific?

When posting a question related to paper material, it is important to be as clear and specific as possible. This means providing all relevant details, such as the type of paper, its thickness, and any specific characteristics or properties that are important to your question. Providing clear and specific information will make it easier for others to understand and answer your question accurately.

2. Is it better to provide images or descriptions in my question?

Both images and descriptions can be helpful in explaining your question about paper material. If you are able to provide clear, high-quality images, they can be a valuable addition to your question. However, if images are not available, providing a detailed description can also be effective. Be sure to include important details and measurements in your description.

3. How can I ensure that my question is relevant to the topic?

Before posting your question, take some time to research and make sure it is related to the topic of paper material. This will prevent your question from being flagged as off-topic and increase the chances of getting helpful responses. If you are unsure, you can also check with the community guidelines or ask a moderator for clarification.

4. Can I ask for recommendations or opinions in my question?

Yes, you can ask for recommendations or opinions related to paper material in your question. However, it is important to make it clear that you are seeking subjective responses. Be sure to provide specific criteria or preferences for the recommendations or opinions you are seeking to make it easier for others to provide helpful answers.

5. How should I format my question for the best chance of getting a helpful response?

When formatting your question, it is important to use proper grammar and punctuation to make it easier to read and understand. You can also use bullet points or numbered lists to organize your question and make it more visually appealing. Additionally, be sure to use appropriate tags to help others find your question and provide relevant answers.