How to evaluate a triangular fermion loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a scalar field decaying into a fermion-anti fermion pair, which then interact in a closed loop to produce two photons. The suggested method is to follow the loop backwards from either of the two photon vertices and use vertex factors and propagators, and then take the trace. However, there may be tricky subtleties related to the chiral anomaly. It is also mentioned that in order to properly evaluate the integral, additional diagrams with two photons exchanged need to be included. The recommendation is to consult an advanced QFT textbook for guidance on how to perform the integral.
c++guru
Say I have a scalar field which decays into to a fermion - anti fermion pair which then interact in a closed loop to produce two photons. How would I evaluate this? Can I just follow the loop backwards from any of the two photon vertices and just write vertex factor, propogator, vertex factor, propogator, vertex factor, propogator, and then take the trace of that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. But the evaluation of the integral you get can have tricky subtleties related to the chiral anomaly.

I end up with this
Screen%20Shot%202014-10-20%20at%201.18.59%20PM.png

How in the world do I do this integral?

I believe you only used one diagram; you have to add the diagram with the two photons exchanged.

See any advanced QFT textbook for how to evaluate the integral.

1. What is a triangular fermion loop?

A triangular fermion loop is a perturbative diagram in particle physics that involves three fermion lines forming a closed loop. These loops are important in calculations of quantum field theories and often involve interactions between three particles.

2. How do you evaluate a triangular fermion loop?

The evaluation of a triangular fermion loop involves using Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory. The loop is broken into smaller sub-diagrams, which are then calculated using mathematical techniques such as loop integrals and dimensional regularization. The results of these calculations are then combined to evaluate the entire loop.

3. What are the applications of evaluating triangular fermion loops?

Evaluating triangular fermion loops is important in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. These calculations are used in predicting the properties of particles, such as their masses and interactions, and in studying the dynamics of particle interactions in experiments.

4. What challenges are involved in evaluating triangular fermion loops?

Evaluating triangular fermion loops can be challenging because the calculations involve complex mathematical techniques and can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the loop may contain divergent terms that need to be renormalized, and the results may depend on the chosen renormalization scheme.

5. How accurate are the results of evaluating triangular fermion loops?

The accuracy of the results depends on the level of precision of the calculations and the assumptions made during the evaluation. In general, the results can be very accurate, but there may be uncertainties due to the complexity of the calculations and the approximations used. Experimental data is often used to validate the accuracy of these calculations.