How to express ωₙ in terms of only mass (m) and stiffness (k)?

In summary, you need to solve for ##\delta_{st}## using Newton's Law and the constraint that the springs have on each other.
Rae
Summary: How to express ωₙ in terms of only mass (m) and stiffness (k)? I tried doing it with F=kx but it is out of my ability to simplify it to only m and k.

Screenshot 2022-05-17 155003.png

Here is my approach:
Screenshot 2022-05-17 175502.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell me what is ##\delta_{st}##?
You need (a free body diagram and) Newton's law for each mass, and the constraint on the positions (and hence accelerations) engendered by the pulley system.

Likes Astronuc
hutchphd said:
Tell me what is ##\delta_{st}##?
You need (a free body diagram and) Newton's law for each mass, and the constraint on the positions (and hence accelerations) engendered by the pulley system.
From what i was taught in my lecture classes, ##\delta_{st}## means the initial displacement that the spring has before we displace it further by x. I am not sure if it is needed in this case.

Is my free body diagram correct for the 2 identical masses?
Screenshot 2022-05-17 194156.png

Likes Delta2
Although you can solve this by finding the force equations and considering the tension in the string etc, there is a much simpler way by using energy methods if you can manage to introduce a generalised coordinate ##x## that describes the position of the system and write down the kinetic and potential energies as depending on ##x##. Generally, if the total energy is on the form ##E = (\mu \dot x^2 + k (x-a)^2)/2 + C##, where ##C##, ##\mu##, ##k##, and ##a## are constants, then the natural frequency is given by ##\omega^2 = k/\mu##.

Good. Write Newton's Law for body 1 and for body 2 (along the direction of travel for each). Eliminate T. Use constraint to eliminate coordinate 1 (or 2 if you prefer). Choose ##\delta_{st}## to give the correct static limit.
This should now look like an oscillator diff. equation.
Perhaps you can use energy conservation to get to the same answer more easilly, but you should be able to do either, I reckon.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the formula for calculating natural frequency (ωₙ)?

The formula for calculating natural frequency is ωₙ = √(k/m), where k is the stiffness and m is the mass.

2. How do I express ωₙ in terms of only mass and stiffness?

To express ωₙ in terms of only mass and stiffness, you can use the formula ωₙ = √(k/m).

3. Can I use any units for mass and stiffness when calculating ωₙ?

Yes, you can use any units for mass and stiffness as long as they are consistent. For example, if you use kilograms for mass, you should use newtons per meter for stiffness.

4. Is there a specific unit for natural frequency (ωₙ)?

Yes, the unit for natural frequency is radians per second (rad/s).

5. How does changing the mass or stiffness affect the natural frequency (ωₙ)?

Increasing the mass will decrease the natural frequency, while increasing the stiffness will increase the natural frequency. This is because the natural frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass, and directly proportional to the square root of the stiffness.