How to extract dark matter mass from a hydrostatic study

In summary, in 2005, A. Vikhlinin et al. conducted a hydrostatic equilibrium study of some dozen galaxy clusters, which are useful because they do not rely on assumptions about mass-to-light ratio. The author is trying to determine the dark matter mass of the cluster and wonders if it can be calculated as the total mass minus the gas fraction. However, in Table 4 of the document, the concentration parameter is listed but not the central density, leading to confusion about how to extract an unambiguous value for the dark matter mass. Upon further inquiry, the author confirmed that the formula mentioned is indeed the correct way to extract the dark matter mass, and added that the stellar mass is about 0.1% of
Jules Winnfield
In 2005, A. Vikhlinin et al. made a hydrostatic equilibrium study - https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0507092 - of some dozen galaxy clusters. These hydrostatic studies are useful because they don't contain the M/L assumptions of other methods. From this document, I'm trying to extract the dark matter mass of the cluster. Is it safe to assume that the dark matter mass is the total mass less the gas fraction (##M_{500}## - ##M_{500}## * ##F_{g,500}##)?

Or is there another way to extract an unambiguous value of dark matter from the concentration parameter that I've not yet found? In table 4, he lists the concentration parameter, but doesn't list the central density. Am I missing something?

Space news on Phys.org
Jules Winnfield said:
In 2005, A. Vikhlinin et al. made a hydrostatic equilibrium study - https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0507092 - of some dozen galaxy clusters. These hydrostatic studies are useful because they don't contain the M/L assumptions of other methods. From this document, I'm trying to extract the dark matter mass of the cluster. Is it safe to assume that the dark matter mass is the total mass less the gas fraction (##M_{500}## - ##M_{500}## * ##F_{g,500}##)?
The author responded to my query. The formula above is the right way to extract the dark matter mass. He added that the stellar mass is about ##\frac{1}{10}## percent of the gas mass, so if I wanted to be even more accurate, I could subtract that also.

1. How is the mass of dark matter extracted from a hydrostatic study?

The mass of dark matter is extracted from a hydrostatic study by measuring the gravitational forces within a galaxy cluster and comparing them to the visible matter within the cluster. The difference in the gravitational forces is attributed to the presence of dark matter and can be used to calculate its mass.

2. What is a hydrostatic study and how does it relate to dark matter mass extraction?

A hydrostatic study is a method used by scientists to study the distribution of matter within a galaxy cluster. It involves measuring the pressure and density of the gas within the cluster and using this information to calculate the cluster's mass. This mass can then be compared to the visible matter in the cluster to estimate the amount of dark matter present.

3. Can dark matter mass be directly measured in a hydrostatic study?

No, dark matter mass cannot be directly measured in a hydrostatic study. Instead, it is estimated by comparing the total mass of the cluster (calculated from the hydrostatic study) to the visible matter in the cluster. The difference is attributed to dark matter.

4. Are there other methods for extracting dark matter mass besides a hydrostatic study?

Yes, there are other methods for extracting dark matter mass. These include gravitational lensing, which measures how light is bent by the gravitational pull of dark matter, and simulations which use computer models to estimate the amount of dark matter in a galaxy or cluster.

5. How accurate is the extraction of dark matter mass from a hydrostatic study?

The accuracy of the extraction of dark matter mass from a hydrostatic study depends on several factors, such as the quality of the data and assumptions made in the calculations. Studies have shown that this method can provide accurate estimates within a factor of 2-3, but it is not considered the most precise method for determining the mass of dark matter.