How to factor atmospheric pressure into relative humidity calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of atmospheric pressure in calculating relative humidity and the use of a psychometric calculator app. The article provided a helpful explanation on how to factor in atmospheric pressure and other parameters when calculating the amount of water in the air. The conclusion is that atmospheric pressure does not affect relative humidity, but it does play a role in other calculations on a psychrometric chart. Overall, the conversation provides a better understanding of how to accurately calculate relative humidity.
Jonathon
TL;DR Summary
ASHRAE's psychrometric charts specify that they are valid at "sea level" / "atmospheric pressure: 101.325 kPa" or for example at "1500 metres" / "84.556 kPa".

Some people say atmospheric pressure is irrelevant to relative humidity, but then why do ASHRAE'S psychrometric charts include those specifications?
psychrometric - @ sea level big.PNG

psychrometric - @ 1500 m.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not irrelevant but how relevant depends on the altitude and process.. Get/try a psychometric calc app for your phone and see what the differences are.

Likes Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
Thanks. The section on "How much moisture can the air "hold"?" was very interesting (to me). I should perhaps have stated that I know how to calculate relative humidity at sea level. I'm trying to factor atmospheric pressure into that calculation. Although it's possible I missed an indirect connection, I don't think the article addressed

How to factor atmospheric pressure into relative humidity calculations?​

Last edited:
100% RH occurs when the partial pressure of water vapor (in the air) equals the vapor pressure of water at that temperature.

If you're talking strictly about RH, atmospheric pressure doesn't matter. There are lots of (other) ways to describe how much water is in the air (mass/mass, mass/volume, etc.) - you need to account for atmospheric pressure with those.

Likes russ_watters
Dullard said:
100% RH occurs when the partial pressure of water vapor (in the air) equals the vapor pressure of water at that temperature.

If you're talking strictly about RH, atmospheric pressure doesn't matter. There are lots of (other) ways to describe how much water is in the air (mass/mass, mass/volume, etc.) - you need to account for atmospheric pressure with those.
Good point -- the OP asks about RH specifically (pressure doesn't matter) and the psych chart in general (pressure does matter to some of the other parameters).

Thanks - pressure does matter to some of the other parameters on a psychrometric chart, but not to relative humidity. Cool - that sufficiently answers my question. Thanks.

1. How does atmospheric pressure affect relative humidity calculations?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in determining the amount of water vapor that can exist in the air. As pressure increases, the air molecules are pushed closer together, making it more difficult for water vapor to escape into the atmosphere. This results in a decrease in relative humidity.

2. Do I need to consider atmospheric pressure when calculating relative humidity?

Yes, it is important to factor in atmospheric pressure when calculating relative humidity because it directly affects the amount of water vapor that can be present in the air. Ignoring atmospheric pressure can lead to inaccurate calculations and predictions.

3. How do I factor in atmospheric pressure when calculating relative humidity?

To factor in atmospheric pressure, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and the number of gas molecules present. By plugging in the values for temperature, pressure, and the gas constant, you can calculate the number of water vapor molecules present and determine the relative humidity.

4. Can changes in atmospheric pressure affect relative humidity?

Yes, any changes in atmospheric pressure, such as a decrease or increase in altitude, can affect the relative humidity. As pressure decreases, the air molecules spread out, making it easier for water vapor to escape into the atmosphere, resulting in an increase in relative humidity. Conversely, an increase in pressure will cause a decrease in relative humidity.

5. How does humidity affect atmospheric pressure?

Humidity does not directly affect atmospheric pressure. However, as the amount of water vapor in the air increases, the air becomes less dense, leading to a decrease in atmospheric pressure. This is because water vapor molecules are lighter than other air molecules, such as nitrogen and oxygen.