How to find a point of intersection of two planes?

In summary: So, for example, with ##z = -6##, you get the solution ##(x,y,z) = (7,0,-6)##; with ##z = 147.2##, you get the solution ##(x,y,z) = (-146.2,0,147.2)##. You obtained ##1-y-z = 1+y-z##, so ##y = 0##, necessarily. Now just go ahead and pick any value of ##z## you like, such as ##z = - 6## or ##z = 147.2## or anything else; all such choices will give you a point on the intersection. So, for example, with ##z = -
Andrew Pierce

Homework Statement

Two planes are given by the equations x + y + z = 1 for the plane P1 and x − y + z = 1 for the plane P2.
(or)
P1 : x + y + z = 1
P2 : x - y + z = 1

Q. The Question

Find the coordinates of a point of intersection of the planes P1 and P2

Homework Equations

Equation of a plane
Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

Parametric equations
x = xo + at
y = yo + bt
z = zo + ct

Possibly using cross product?
P1 x P2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt 1:

So to start off I thought maybe finding the line of intersection would be the way to go about solving this problem, and then working from there to find some point.

Rewrite P1 and P2 to give the variable "x" on one side of the equation

P1 : x = 1 - y - z

P2 : x = 1 + y - z

Then setting both of the "x" variables equal to each other.

1 - y - z = 1 + y - z

Then I solve for "y"

y = 0

And now I'm lost.

Attempt 2:

Then I attempted to do what I normally did for trying to find any equations that intersect by setting the two equations equal to each other.

P1 = P2

x + y + z = x - y + z

And then I'm right back to where I started...

y = 0

Attempt 3:

Finally, I remembered a bit of information from a lecture from my professor about how using the cross product and setting a variable equal to zero was the way to go. Unfortunately, I do not have any detailed notes on the procedure and don't remember any more than that. P1 x P2 = < 2, 0, -2>

Physics news on Phys.org
The result you got is right, which means that every intersection of the two planes has the coordinate ##(x,0,z).## Then you can just use this to find out the complete solution of your problem.
Besides, the intersection of two planes will not a point, but nothing, a line or a plane.

Likes Andrew Pierce
You've deduced that y must equal 0, so the intersection must lie in the x-z plane.
Now just substitute zero for y into one of the two original equations and you'll get an equation involving x and z that gives the line in the x-z plane that is the intersection.

Likes Andrew Pierce
tommyxu3 said:
The result you got is right, which means that every intersection of the two planes has the coordinate ##(x,0,z).## Then you can just use this to find out the complete solution of your problem.
Besides, the intersection of two planes will not a point, but nothing, a line or a plane.
Right, I understand that but the problem I'm facing is, what do I do from there? I need to find a point on that line/plane I assume? But how?

Now that you know the solution must present as ##(x,0,z),## then what you have to do is find the general types of ##x## and ##z.## From the remained relations:
$$x + y + z = 1,x - y + z = 1,$$
that is,
$$x+z=1.$$
This is the only constrict condition of this problem after you find ##y=0## is always true.

Likes Andrew Pierce
tommyxu3 said:
Now that you know the solution must present as ##(x,0,z),## then what you have to do is find the general types of ##x## and ##z.## From the remained relations:
$$x + y + z = 1,x - y + z = 1,$$
that is,
$$x+z=1.$$
This is the only constrict condition of this problem after you find ##y=0## is always true.

So would a possible point for this line be (1, 0, 0)?
Or another, (0, 0, 1)?

Thanks so much for the help!

Andrew Pierce said:
So would a possible point for this line be (1, 0, 0)?
Or another, (0, 0, 1)?
Yes, they are all solutions, but mind what the problem requires. We need the general solution, that is, complete one. Knowing ##x+z=1,## try to use another parameter to present ##x## and ##z## and don't forget to give the range of your parameter, maybe ##t.##

Likes Andrew Pierce
tommyxu3 said:
Yes, they are all solutions, but mind what the problem requires. We need the general solution, that is, complete one. Knowing ##x+z=1,## try to use another parameter to present ##x## and ##z## and don't forget to give the range of your parameter, maybe ##t.##

I do not want to sound stupid but I am unsure how to do that...
Maybe that is what has me stuck...
But to try and understand what it is do you simply substitute t for one of the variables and solve for each of the respective variables?

x = 1 - t
z =
1 - t

Is that it?

It's close! But i don't know why you write down that. Knowing ##x+z=1,## if we set ##x=t## is a free parameter, then we can get ##z=1-t.## So the solution of this problem is ##(x,y,z)=(t,0,1-t)~\forall t \in \mathbb{R}.## Of course the choosing of the parameter is free depending on you and you will get another type looking different from this but in fact equivalent.

Likes Andrew Pierce
For someone, they like to write the line in space like the type below:
$$\frac{x-x_0}{a}=\frac{y-y_0}{b}=\frac{z-z_0}{c},$$
which here ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)## means a point on the line and ##(a,b,c)## is its normal vector.
For your problem, it should be: ##x=1-z,~y=0.##

Likes Andrew Pierce
Andrew Pierce said:
I do not want to sound stupid but I am unsure how to do that...
Maybe that is what has me stuck...
But to try and understand what it is do you simply substitute t for one of the variables and solve for each of the respective variables?

x = 1 - t
z =
1 - t

Is that it?
You obtained ##1-y-z = 1+y-z##, so ##y = 0##, necessarily. Now just go ahead and pick any value of ##z## you like, such as ##z = - 6## or ##z = 147.2## or anything else; all such choices will give you a point on the intersection.

Likes Andrew Pierce

1. How do I determine if two planes intersect?

Two planes intersect if they have a point in common. This can be determined by solving the system of linear equations formed by the equations of the two planes. If the system has a unique solution, then the planes intersect at a single point. If the system has no solution, the planes are parallel and do not intersect. If the system has infinitely many solutions, the planes are coincident and intersect at every point along the line of intersection.

2. Can I find the point of intersection without solving a system of equations?

Yes, another way to find the point of intersection is by finding the intersection of the two normal vectors of the planes. The normal vectors can be found by taking the coefficients of x, y, and z in the equations of the planes. Once the normal vectors are found, the point of intersection can be determined by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for the variables.

3. What if the planes are not in standard form?

If the planes are not in standard form (Ax + By + Cz = D), you will need to rearrange the equations to get them in this form before solving. This can be done by isolating the x, y, and z terms on one side and moving the constant to the other side of the equation.

4. Can the point of intersection be outside of the given planes?

No, the point of intersection must lie on both planes. If the equations of the planes do not intersect at a single point, there is no point of intersection and the planes do not intersect at all.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the point of intersection?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind. If one plane is a multiple of the other (i.e. the equations are equivalent), there are infinitely many points of intersection. If the two planes are perpendicular, they will intersect at a single point, and the normal vectors will be orthogonal. If the two planes are parallel, there is no point of intersection and the normal vectors will be parallel.