How to find if a quadratic expression is a perfect square

In summary, to find if a quadratic expression of the form 4x2 + 4.n.x - P (where x, n, and P are natural numbers) is a perfect square, you can compare its individual summands to determine "a" and "d" and see if all three components fit. Alternatively, you can compute the discriminant D = b^2 - 4ac, where b, c, and a are the coefficients of the quadratic expression, and solve for n and m such that 4n^2 + 64n - 31 = m^2. If y is an integer, then the quadratic expression will have as many perfect squares as the number of equations you can form by rearr
rajeshmarndi
How to find if a quadratic expression of the form
4x2 + 4.n.x - P ......(x,n and P are natural number)
is a perfect square.

For example,
4x2 + 64x - 31

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it is a perfect square it can be written as a(x+d)2 = a x2 + 2 a d x + ad2. You can compare the individual summands to determine "a" and "d" and see if all three components fit. For example, take the x2 term to determine a.

Edit: Moved to variables a and d to avoid confusion with other uses of b.

Last edited:
Or you can compute the discriminant ##D = b^2 - 4ac##.

Likes symbolipoint
Thanks. I mean
4x2 + 64x - 31

will generate
289 (perfect square, for x=4)
.. and so on.

I want to know is there anyway if a quadratic expression will ever generate a perfect square for some 'x' value.

Then you'll need to find ##n## and ##m## such that
[tex]4n^2 + 64n - 31 = m^2[/tex]

I have solved very similar questions already in your previous threads. So I'm sure you can handle it from here.

Likes mfb
micromass said:
Then you'll need to find ##n## and ##m## such that
[tex]4n^2 + 64n - 31 = m^2[/tex]

I have solved very similar questions already in your previous threads. So I'm sure you can handle it from here.
I have made a slight change, say now the quadratic expression is ( I have only removed the coefficient of x^2)

x^2 + 648x + 247 = m^2, ( x, m both are integer). Also for some purpose I will be considering quadratic expression where the 'x' term and the constant(here 247) are either odd-even or viceversa.

I can break the above quadratic expression into,

x^2 + ( 2*323*x + 2x ) + ( 323^2 - 2y ) ...(1)
x^2 + ( 2*322*x + 4x ) + ( 322^2 - 4y ) ...(2)
x^2 + ( 2*321*x + 6x ) + ( 321^2 - 6y ) ...(3)

and so on ... untill
x^2 + ( 2*1*x + 2*323*x ) + ( 1^2 - 2*323*y ) ...(323)

Lets take equ(1)
it can be rearrange into
( x^2 + 2*323*x + 323^2 ) + 2(x-y)
(x + 323 )^2 + 2(x-y)

So if x=y, then the above quadratic expression has a perfect square. But since we are only taking x and m as integer, here too y has to be an integer.

Also,
323^2 - 2y = 247
2y = ( 323^2 - 247 )
y = ( 323^2 - 247 ) / 2

which is divisible by 2
i.e y = 52041 ( an integer)

For every such quadratic expression (in the general form, where the x term and the constant are either odd-even or viceversa)
dividing with 2(i.e first equation equ(1) ) is always a perfect square. Which I do not need in my problem.

Similarly for equ(2,3,...), it is
y = ( 322^2 - 247 ) / 4
y = ( 321^2 - 247 ) / 6
y = ( 320^2 - 247 ) / 8 and so on...

If any on the above y value is an integer then the above quadratic expression will have as many perfect square.

But I cannot do them all these manually, I failed to get other any way that can tell me if the quadratic can generate perfect square(ignoring dividing by 2).

Thank you.

1. How do I determine if a quadratic expression is a perfect square?

To determine if a quadratic expression is a perfect square, you can use the discriminant formula: b²-4ac. If the discriminant is equal to 0, the expression is a perfect square. Additionally, you can also take the square root of the first and last term of the expression and check if it is equal to the middle term.

2. What is a perfect square quadratic expression?

A perfect square quadratic expression is a quadratic expression in which the first and last terms are perfect squares and the middle term is twice the square root of the first and last terms. In other words, it can be factored into two identical binomials.

3. How can I factor a quadratic expression to determine if it is a perfect square?

To factor a quadratic expression and determine if it is a perfect square, you can use the method of completing the square. This involves adding or subtracting a constant term to the expression to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be factored into two identical binomials.

4. Is it possible for a quadratic expression to be a perfect square with complex solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a quadratic expression to be a perfect square with complex solutions. This occurs when the discriminant is equal to 0, resulting in a perfect square, but the solutions are complex numbers rather than real numbers.

5. Can a quadratic expression be a perfect square if it has a negative coefficient?

Yes, a quadratic expression can still be a perfect square even if it has a negative coefficient. The coefficient does not affect whether or not the expression is a perfect square, as long as the first and last terms are perfect squares and the middle term is twice the square root of the first and last terms.