How to find range inside square root

In summary, when finding the range for the given function, it is important to consider the shape of the function. The square root function is always increasing, so the range is determined by the values at the smallest and largest ##x+2## values. It is also important to remember that ##x \ne 2##, so the range does not include ##\sqrt{2+2} = 2\sqrt{2}##.
Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
find range
Relevant Equations
none
Hi, so I know how to find domain but how about range in this problem?
I don't understand the way he did it?
I always get answers wrong when it comes to range.
1685186632594.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
Homework Statement: find range
Relevant Equations: none

Hi, so I know how to find domain but how about range in this problem?
I don't understand the way he did it?
Say domain x ##\neq## 2 is all right.
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x+2}\frac{\sqrt{x-2}}{\sqrt{x-2}}[/tex]
For x ##\neq## 2 it is simply
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x+2}[/tex]
This is monotonically increasing function from 0 to infinity for -2<x<+##\infty## when we forget x ##\neq## 2.
So ##\sqrt{2+2}=2## is the only one positive value which is out of range.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
In determining the range, the shape of the function is important. The square root function is always increasing, smaller values have smaller square roots and larger values have larger square roots. Therefore, the range is determined by the values at the smallest ##x+2## value (##x+2=0##) and the largest ##x+2## value (##x+2 \rightarrow \infty##). If it wasn't like that, you would have to do more work to determine the maximum and minimum of the function.

You must also keep track of the fact that ##x \ne 2##, so the range does not include WRONG:##\sqrt{2+2} = 2\sqrt{2}##. CORRECTION: The range does not include ##\sqrt{2+2} = 2##.

Last edited:
Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
FactChecker said:
You must also keep track of the fact that ##x \ne 2##, so the range does not include ##\sqrt{2+2} = 2\sqrt{2}##.
You have a typo here.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
You have a typo here.
Thanks! Not a typo, just a brain cell died. I corrected it. :-)

1. What is the range inside a square root?

The range inside a square root is the set of all possible outputs or values that can be obtained when a number is taken as the square root.

2. How do you find the range inside a square root?

To find the range inside a square root, you can either use a graphing calculator or manually plug in different values for the input and observe the corresponding output to determine the range.

3. Can the range inside a square root be negative?

Yes, the range inside a square root can be negative. This is because when a negative number is squared, the result is a positive number, and therefore, the square root of a negative number can be a negative number.

4. What is the difference between domain and range inside a square root?

The domain inside a square root refers to the set of all possible input values, while the range inside a square root refers to the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of numbers that can be taken as the input for the square root, while the range is the set of numbers that can be obtained as the output.

5. Can the range inside a square root be infinite?

Yes, the range inside a square root can be infinite. This can occur when the domain includes all real numbers, as there is no limit to the possible outputs for a square root function.