How to find Resonance frequency of rectangualr cavity from FDTD data

In summary, the person has written a 3D FDTD code with Mur ABC that produces correct results for time domain data. They now need to use this code to calculate the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity. They are seeking advice on the steps to follow and any code or help on processing the time domain data. A suggestion is made to use a chirp pulse as an input and then use an FFT on the output to calculate the resonance frequency. This method is commonly used in SPICE simulations.
confi999
Hello,
I have written 3D FDTD code with Mur ABC which gives correct results for time domain data.
Now I want to compute the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity using this 3D FDTD code.
I don't know how I will do that.

Would someone please advise me the steps I need to follow now to calculate the rectangular cavity resonance frequency.
Any code or help on how the time domain data need to be processed is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe this is a silly suggestion, but could you just use a chirp pulse (or even white noise) as an input and then use an FFT on the output?

I can't think of a better method right now, of course you could just "scan" across frequencies and look at the amplitude of the output; but chirp+FFT should be faster, and I believe this is how it is usually done in e.g. SPICE simulations.

1. What is the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity?

The resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity is the frequency at which the cavity will oscillate at its maximum amplitude when excited by an external source.

2. How is the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity calculated?

The resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity can be calculated using the Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method, which involves discretizing the cavity into small cells and solving Maxwell's equations to determine the electric and magnetic fields at each cell. The resonance frequency can then be determined from the peak in the frequency spectrum of the electric or magnetic field.

3. What factors can affect the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity?

The resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity can be affected by factors such as the dimensions of the cavity, the material properties of the cavity walls, the presence of any objects or materials inside the cavity, and the position and orientation of any external sources that are exciting the cavity.

4. Can the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity be tuned?

Yes, the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity can be tuned by adjusting the dimensions of the cavity or by changing the material properties of the cavity walls. This is known as cavity tuning and is often used to achieve a desired resonance frequency for specific applications.

5. How is the resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity used in practical applications?

The resonance frequency of a rectangular cavity is commonly used in applications such as microwave filters, antennas, and resonators. It is also used in spectroscopy techniques to study the properties of materials and in particle accelerators to accelerate charged particles.