How to find the angle between the resultant and the X axis?

In summary: Referring back to the diagrams in the attachment, you found the angle [itex]\theta[/tex] to be 10.26[itex]^\circ[/tex]That is the angle between the 9.3 magnitude vector (from the first diagram) and the resultant vector R. (Note that the angle between the 6.1 magnitude vector and the resultant vector is not the same.)Since the 9.3 magnitude vector makes an angle of 51[itex]^\circ[/tex] with the x-axis and the resultant vector is between that vector and the x-axis, then the resultant vector is 10.26[itex]^\circ[/tex] closer to the x
deaninator
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. Doesn't the diagram show you exactly how to do it? :confused:

Use algebra to isolate sin( [itex] \theta [/itex]) then apply arcsin.

cepheid said:
I don't understand. Doesn't the diagram show you exactly how to do it? :confused:

The answer is wrong.

Integral said:
Use algebra to isolate sin( [itex] \theta [/itex]) then apply arcsin.

Can you please elaborate?

deaninator said:
The answer is wrong.

No, 10.26 degrees is correct.

deaninator said:
Can you please elaborate?

Solve for sin(theta) from the equation that you get from the sine law. Once you know sin(theta), then you know theta, because you can apply the inverse sine (a.k.a. arcsine) on your calculator just as Integral mentioned.

cepheid said:
No, 10.26 degrees is correct.

The computer keeps say it's wrong.

Solve for sin(theta) from the equation that you get from the sine law. Once you know sin(theta), then you know theta, because you can apply the inverse sine (a.k.a. arcsine) on your calculator just as Integral mentioned.

Yeah and i keep getting 10.16.

deaninator said:
Yeah and i keep getting 10.16.

Can you post your calculation steps? Maybe we can see where you went wrong.

cepheid said:
Can you post your calculation steps? Maybe we can see where you went wrong.

15.02/sin(154)
= 34.2632

6.1/34.2632
= .1780

Sin^- .1780 = 10.26

10.26 + 25 = 35.26 as my final answer

deaninator is correct; the answer is wrong.

Break the vectors down to their x- and y-components and solve it that way. You'll see that the resultant vector makes an angle of 40.75[itex]^\circ[/tex] with the x axis.

The problem stems from the fact that the wrong angle is being found in the attachment. The angle you need to find is the one below the resultant vector, not the one above.

Using the sine law, you would find this angle by:

[tex]\frac{9.3}{sin \theta} = \frac{15.02}{sin 154^\circ}[/tex]

zgozvrm said:

Break the vectors down to their x- and y-components and solve it that way. You'll see that the resultant vector makes an angle of 40.75[itex]^\circ[/tex] with the x axis.

The problem stems from the fact that the wrong angle is being found in the attachment. The angle you need to find is the one below the resultant vector, not the one above.

then you add 25 degrees right?

deaninator said:

nvm sorry

zgozvrm said:

Hey do you know a site where I can find where I learn how to break down vectors to their x- and y- components?

cool website... i should find more of such kinds..

deaninator said:

Yes.

25 degrees is the angle between the positive x-axis and the vector on the bottom of the parallelogram (the 6.1 magnitude vector).

[itex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between that vector and the resultant vector.

The sum of the 2 angles is the angle between the resultant and the x-axis.

zgozvrm said:
dThe problem stems from the fact that the wrong angle is being found in the attachment.
Alternatively, they found the right angle but added it to the wrong angle. They should have calculated 51 degrees less 10.26 degrees = 40.74 degrees. (The reason they didn't get 40.75 degrees is because that 10.26 degrees should be 10.25 degrees.)

D H said:
Alternatively, they found the right angle but added it to the wrong angle. They should have calculated 51 degrees less 10.26 degrees = 40.74 degrees. (The reason they didn't get 40.75 degrees is because that 10.26 degrees should be 10.25 degrees.)

Can you tell me how you got to to 40.74 please?

Referring back to the diagrams in the attachment, you found the angle [itex]\theta[/tex] to be 10.26[itex]^\circ[/tex]

That is the angle between the 9.3 magnitude vector (from the first diagram) and the resultant vector R. (Note that the angle between the 6.1 magnitude vector and the resultant vector is not the same.)

Since the 9.3 magnitude vector makes an angle of 51[itex]^\circ[/tex] with the x-axis and the resultant vector is between that vector and the x-axis, then the resultant vector is 10.26[itex]^\circ[/tex] closer to the x-axis. Therefore the resultant vector makes an angle of 51[itex]^\circ[/tex] - 10.26[itex]^\circ[/tex] = 40.74[itex]^\circ[/tex] with the x-axis.

Related to How to find the angle between the resultant and the X axis?

What is the definition of the angle between the resultant and the X axis?

The angle between the resultant and the X axis is the angle formed between the resultant vector and the positive X axis, measured counterclockwise.

How can I calculate the angle between the resultant and the X axis?

The angle can be calculated using the trigonometric function tangent. The formula is tanθ = (Y component of resultant) / (X component of resultant). The angle can then be found by taking the inverse tangent of this value.

What if the resultant vector is in the negative X direction?

If the resultant vector is in the negative X direction, the angle between the resultant and the X axis will be measured clockwise from the negative X axis. The formula for calculating the angle will remain the same, but the resulting angle will be negative.

Can I use any other trigonometric function to find the angle?

Yes, you can also use the cosine or sine function to find the angle between the resultant and the X axis. The formula for cosine is cosθ = (X component of resultant) / (resultant magnitude) and the formula for sine is sinθ = (Y component of resultant) / (resultant magnitude).

What if I have more than two vectors and want to find the angle between the resultant and the X axis?

If you have more than two vectors, you can find the resultant vector by adding all the individual vectors together. Then, you can use the same formulas as mentioned above to find the angle between the resultant and the X axis.