How to find the angle where the required pull is minimum?

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of minimizing the required pull in a given equation, with the solution involving taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero to find the angle. The speaker also suggested using a spreadsheet to create a numerical model of the problem, which can be helpful in gaining a better understanding of the physical aspects involved.
simphys
Homework Statement
I have placed the problem as a picture. Just bevore 'Evaluate' it says find the angle where the required pull is minimum.
Relevant Equations
T = mu_k*w / ( cos(alpha) + mu_ksin(alpha) )
Can I get some help on how I'd do that?
I would parametrize the angle in the equation of where T = 188N and then take the derivative.
And then, what should I do then? it's not T' = 0 and I didn't have maxima minima vals in calc so yeah.
Thanks in advance.
1644862990519.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##T = 188N## isn't relevant for the problem of minimising the required pull.

Likes simphys
The expression you have for T is a minimum when the denominator is at a maximum. How do you find the maximum of that? Take the derivative, set it equal to zero and solve for the angle.

Likes simphys
simphys said:
Relevant Equations:: T = mu_k*w / ( cos(alpha) + mu_ksin(alpha) )

it's not T' = 0
Why not ? Plot ##1/(\cos\alpha + 0.4 * \sin\alpha) ## to see there definitely is a minimum ...

##\ ##

Likes simphys
PeroK said:
##T = 188N## isn't relevant for the problem of minimising the required pull.
it is isn't it? if I paramterize it by as a function of alpha ((nvm kuruman explained what you meant, it's only the denominator)

The 188 you mention is a function of ##\alpha##

Likes simphys
kuruman said:
The expression you have for T is a minimum when the denominator is at a maximum. How do you find the maximum of that? Take the derivative, set it equal to zero and solve for the angle.
oooh thanks, okay! makes total sense...

Your relevant equation is the parametrization ##T(\alpha)##

Likes simphys
BvU said:
The 188 you mention is a function of ##\alpha##
yes I should just take the derivative of the denominator instead of T itself as i did.

Can do that - but maximizing the denominator is less work :smile:

Likes simphys
BvU said:
what do you mean if I may ask?
taking the derivative of the denominator and setting it equal to zero, isn't that maximizing?

BvU said:
Derivative is -sinx + mu_k*cos(x) = 0
Can't really find a way to solve this to be honest.

Haha, how to solve ##\mu\cos \alpha-\sin\alpha = 0 \ \ ##:smile:
via
##\ sin(\beta-\alpha) = 0##

Likes simphys
lol I am dying🤣
I literally was summing up all those formulas besides the sum formulas 😐

BvU said:
Haha, how to solve ##\mu\cos \alpha-\sin\alpha = 0 \ \ ##:smile:
via
##\ sin(\beta-\alpha) = 0##
Thanks for the help by the way

Likes BvU
BvU said:
Haha, how to solve μcos⁡α−sin⁡α=0 :smile:
via
sin(β−α)=0
@BvU you know what works... just dividing by cos alpha and then we get alpha = arctand(mu_k) loll

simphys said:
Derivative is -sinx + mu_k*cos(x) = 0
Can't really find a way to solve this to be honest.
What have you tried?

Likes hutchphd
PeroK said:
What have you tried?
of course :) ( oh apologies I didn't see the 'what')

Likes hutchphd
PeroK said:
What have you tried?
but I got it in the end by doing a very veryyy simple thing...

PeroK said:
What have you tried?
acosx - sin x = 0
acosx/cosx - tanx = 0/cosx
a = tan x
x = arctanx

(didn't see the what, tried with double angle formulas,...) but I don't know why I didn't think of this at first...

One thing I would recommend is putting these problems on a spreadsheet. In this case, you can have each variable: ##m##, ##\mu_k##, ##g##, ##\theta ##, ##T##. From this you can calculate the normal force ##F_N = mg - T\sin \theta##, the friction force ##F_f= \mu_k N##, the accelerating force ##F \cos \theta## and the acceleration (if ##F \ge F_f##). Then you can play about by, say, fixing ##\theta## and varying ##T##; or, fixing ##T## and varying ##\theta##.

There are several benefits of having a numerical model of these problems. Not least it helps you gain an understanding of what is happening physically.

• Informative
Likes simphys
PeroK said:
One thing I would recommend is putting these problems on a spreadsheet. In this case, you can have each variable: ##m##, ##\mu_k##, ##g##, ##\theta ##, ##T##. From this you can calculate the normal force ##F_N = mg - T\sin \theta##, the friction force ##F_f= \mu_k N##, the accelerating force ##F \cos \theta## and the acceleration (if ##F \ge F_f##). Then you can play about by, say, fixing ##\theta## and varying ##T##; or, fixing ##T## and varying ##\theta##.

There are several benefits of having a numerical model of these problems. Not least it helps you gain an understanding of what is happening physically.
wooww.. Thanks for this amazing idea.
That's 100% facts. When I need to derive a general formula (which I needed to do in the successive example) I just reason about it in my head but when you actually have numericals it will be a 100 % more beneficial.

(and by the way: on which ones 'd you recommend to do it, on general problems only perhaps that are of the kind that are not really 'directly' derived and depend on a couple of values like ##m##, ##/mu_k##, ##g##, ##/theta## ,...)

simphys said:
wooww.. Thanks for this amazing idea.
That's 100% facts. When I need to derive a general formula (which I needed to do in the successive example) I just reason about it in my head but when you actually have numericals it will be a 100 % more beneficial.

(and by the way: on which ones 'd you recommend to do it, on general problems only perhaps that are of the kind that are not really 'directly' derived and depend on a couple of values like ##m##, ##/mu_k##, ##g##, ##/theta## ,...)
I use spreadsheets generally in preference to a calculator. There are several uses: getting a grasp of the problem; calculating a numerical answer; sanity checking a formulaic answer; ... Whenever numbers help.

Likes kuruman
simphys said:
@BvU you know what works... just dividing by cos alpha and then we get alpha = arctand(mu_k) loll
I have to admit that is considerably quicker :smile:

But it's still a good addition to one's toolkit to know how to solve ##\ a\cos\alpha + b\sin\alpha = c \ ## :wink:

##\ ##

Another addition to the toolkit:

The angle that minimises ##T## is defined by ##\tan \theta_0 = \mu##, and the minimum ##T## is:
$$T_0 = \frac{mg\mu}{\cos \theta_0 + \mu \sin \theta_0} = \frac{mg\tan \theta_0}{\cos \theta_0 + \tan \theta_0 \sin \theta_0} = mg\sin \theta_0$$Also:
$$\tan \theta_0 = \mu \ \Rightarrow \ \sin \theta_0 = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{1 + \mu^2}}, \ \cos \theta_0 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + \mu^2}}$$Therefore:$$T_0 = \frac{mg\mu}{\sqrt{1 + \mu^2}}$$For ##\mu = 0.4## the man could have saved himself ##2N##.

Likes BvU
PeroK said:
I always advised my students to use a spreadsheet instead of a calculator. From the standpoint of the problem author, I used a spreadsheet exclusively when designing multiple choice questions with numerical answers. It allowed me to craft the most likely "wrong" answers given the input parameters by simply altering this or that in the cell containing the right formula. It also enabled me to easily produce three different versions of the same test, given in a crowded lecture hall, with identical problems but different input numbers. A discreet marking on the front page identified the version. The copies were distributed so that each student was flanked on either side by a different version. Of course, the students were advised that, if their eyes "wander during the test and happen to see that their neighbor's answer does not match theirs, not to worry; they could both be correct." Students who put down answers belonging to the wrong version were referred to the university's Academic Honesty Committee for a disciplinary hearing and adjudication.

• Love
Likes PeroK

1. What is the angle where the required pull is minimum?

The angle where the required pull is minimum is known as the angle of minimum pull. It is the angle at which the force required to move an object is the least.

2. How do I calculate the angle of minimum pull?

The angle of minimum pull can be calculated using the formula: tan θ = μ, where θ is the angle and μ is the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is moving on. You can also use a protractor to measure the angle directly.

3. Why is it important to find the angle of minimum pull?

Knowing the angle of minimum pull is important because it helps us determine the most efficient way to move an object. By minimizing the required pull, we can reduce the amount of force needed to move an object, making the process more efficient.

4. Can the angle of minimum pull be different for different objects?

Yes, the angle of minimum pull can vary depending on the weight and shape of the object, as well as the surface it is moving on. It is important to calculate the angle of minimum pull for each individual object to ensure the most efficient movement.

5. What factors can affect the angle of minimum pull?

The angle of minimum pull can be influenced by factors such as the weight and shape of the object, the surface it is moving on, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface. Other factors such as air resistance and the force applied to the object can also affect the angle of minimum pull.