How to find the charge at time = t (at any instant)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the charge on a capacitor using the dot product of magnetic field and area. The resulting equations are used to find the voltage and charge on the capacitor at different time intervals. The conversation also mentions an arbitrary assumption for the value of ##\phi## and asks for alternative methods for the question. The 4th option is unclear and requires further clarification.
asadahmad_7869
Homework Statement
A circuit consists of a coil with inductance ##L## and an uncharged capacitor of capacitance ##C##. The coil is in a constant uniform magnetic field such that the flux through the coil is ##\phi##. At time ##t = 0##, the magnetic field was abruptly switched off. Let ##\omega_0= \frac{1}{\sqrt(LC)}## and ignore the resistance of the circuit. Then,

1) Magnitude of charge on the capacitor is ##|Q(t)|= 2C \omega_0\phi\sin(\omega_o t)##

2) Magnitude of charge on the capacitor is ##|Q(t)|= C \omega_0\phi\sin(\omega_o t)##

3) Initial current in the circuit is infinite.

4) The cyclotron frequencies of all the particles are same.

It is a more than one correct type, with the answers being 2 and 4.
Relevant Equations
Charge on Capacitor ## Q = CV ##
Emf induced in inductor ##V (or E) = -\frac{d\phi}{dt}##
I was not able to derive the charge on the capacitor. But then, I arbitrarily assumed ##\phi=B.A## (Dot product of Magnetic field and Area)

Then, proceeding as follows,

##\phi=BA\cos(\omega_0 t)##
##\frac{d\phi}{dt}=−BA\omega_0\sin(\omega_0 t)##

Now at ##t=0, \phi=BA\cos(0)=BA##
Therefore,
##\frac{d\phi}{dt}=−\phi\omega_0\sin(\omega_0 t)##

Now,
##V(t)=−\frac{d\phi}{dt}##
##V(t)=\phi\omega_0\sin(\omega_0 t)##

And finally,
##Q(t)=CV(t)##
##Q(t)=C\phi\omega_0\sin(\omega_0 t)##
Which corresponds to option 2.

Now, since I arbitrarily assumed the value of ##\phi##, I don't know if it is correct.
Please help me with any other alternative to this question?
Also, I don't understand the 4th option. Can you help in that as well?

Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please sort out your Latex tags!

Likes asadahmad_7869
PeroK said:
Please sort out your Latex tags!
Sorry for that, I just corrected them!

1. What is charge at a specific time?

Charge at a specific time, denoted as Q(t), is the amount of electric charge present in an object at a particular moment in time.

2. How do you calculate the charge at a specific time?

To calculate the charge at a specific time, you will need to know the current and past values of the current flowing through the object. You can then use the equation Q(t) = Q(0) + ∫i(t)dt, where Q(0) is the initial charge at time t=0 and ∫i(t)dt represents the integral of the current over time.

3. Can the charge at a specific time be negative?

Yes, the charge at a specific time can be negative. This indicates that the object has a net negative charge, meaning it has an excess of electrons compared to protons.

4. How does the charge at a specific time change over time?

The charge at a specific time can change over time due to the flow of current through the object. If the current is positive, the charge will increase over time, and if the current is negative, the charge will decrease over time.

5. What factors can affect the charge at a specific time?

The charge at a specific time can be affected by the amount of current flowing through the object, the time period over which the current is flowing, and any external forces such as friction or resistance that may influence the flow of current.