3 mass coupled oscillators

In summary: No. If \lambda < 0 then \mathbf{x} = \mathbf{v}e^{\pm \omega_0\sqrt{|\lambda|}t} and we have exponential growth or decay. Thus we must have \lambda \geq 0.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
See Screenshot
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I am not sure if I have derived the matrix correctly, because of my results in task b

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-12 um 21.16.09.png

I solved task 1 as follows, I assumed that all three particles move to the right

$$m \dot{x_1}=-k(x_1 - x_2)$$
$$2m \dot{x_2}=-k(x_2-x_2)-3k(x_2-x_3)$$
$$3m \dot{x_3}=-3k(x_3-x_2)$$

Then I simply divided all three equations by the masses and got the following form

$$ \dot{x_1}=-\frac{k}{m}(x_1 - x_2)$$
$$ \dot{x_2}=-\frac{k}{2m}(x_2-x_2)-\frac{3k}{2m}(x_2-x_3)$$
$$ \dot{x_3}=-\frac{k}{m}(x_3-x_2)$$

Then I set up the 3 equations in the required matrix form:$$\frac{d}{dt^2} \vec{x}=\left( \begin{array}{rrr}
-\frac{k}{m} & \frac{k}{m} & 0 \\
\frac{k}{2m} & -(\frac{k}{2m}+\frac{3k}{2m}) & \frac{3k}{2m} \\
0 & \frac{k}{m} & -\frac{k}{m} \\
\end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{rrr}
x_1 \\
x_2 \\
x_3 \\
\end{array}\right)$$

For task part b, I simply put ##\vec{x}(t)=e^{i \omega t} \vec{v}## into the matrix above and then divided out the exponential term on both sides.$$ -\omega^2 \vec{v}= \left( \begin{array}{rrr}
-\frac{k}{m} & \frac{k}{m} & 0 \\
\frac{k}{2m} & -(\frac{k}{2m}+\frac{3k}{2m}) & \frac{3k}{2m} \\
0 & \frac{k}{m} & -\frac{k}{m} \\
\end{array}\right) \vec{v}$$

After that I just got everything on one site and used that ##\frac{k}{m}=\omega_0## is

$$ \left( \begin{array}{rrr}
0 \\
0 \\
0 \\
\end{array}\right)= \left( \begin{array}{rrr}
-\frac{k}{m}+\omega^2 & \frac{k}{m} & 0 \\
\frac{k}{2m} & -(\frac{k}{2m}+\frac{3k}{2m})+\omega^2 & \frac{3k}{2m} \\
0 & \frac{k}{m} & -\frac{k}{m}+\omega^2 \\
\end{array}\right) \vec{v}$$

Now, to determine ##\omega##, I simply formed the determinant of the matrix and got the following:

$$\frac{3 \omega_0^6}{2}+\frac{3 \omega_0^4 \omega^2}{2}-2 \omega_0^2 \omega^4- \omega^6=0$$

If I now solve the equation for ##\omega##, I get the following values

$$\omega_1=\pm \omega_0$$
$$\omega_2=\pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(3+ \sqrt{3})}\sqrt{-\omega_0^2}$$
$$\omega_3=\pm \frac{\sqrt{(\sqrt{3}-3) \omega_0^2}}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify your calculations by writing the system as [tex]
\ddot{\mathbf{x}} + \omega_0^2 \begin{pmatrix}
1 & -1 & 0 \\ -\tfrac12 & 2 & -\tfrac32 \\ 0 & -1 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{x} = 0[/tex] where [itex]\omega_0^2 = k/m[/itex]. Then after substituting [itex]\mathbf{x} = \mathbf{v}e^{i\omega t}[/itex] you can set [itex]\omega^2 = \lambda \omega_0^2[/itex] to obtain [tex]
\omega_0^2\begin{pmatrix}
1 - \lambda & -1 & 0 \\ -\tfrac12 & 2 - \lambda & -\tfrac 32 \\ 0 & -1 & 1 - \lambda
\end{pmatrix}\mathbf{v} = 0.[/tex] The determinant is then (EDIT: This is incorrect; please see below) [tex]
(1 - \lambda)((2 - \lambda)(1 - \lambda) + \tfrac32) - \tfrac12 (1 - \lambda) = (1- \lambda)(\lambda^2 - 3\lambda + 3).[/tex] Thus we have [itex]\lambda = 1, \sqrt{3}e^{\pm i\pi/6}[/itex]. Therefore [tex]
\frac{\omega}{\omega_0} = \pm 1, 3^{1/4}e^{\pm i\pi/12}, 3^{1/4}e^{\pm i 5 \pi /12}.[/tex] We can immediately see that the roots occur in complex conjugate pairs, as expected.

Last edited:
Likes Lambda96 and PhDeezNutz
I've not explicitly checked the calculation, but how can you get complex eigenvalues for a non-dissipative system of harmonic oscillators?

Likes Lambda96 and pasmith
vanhees71 said:
I've not explicitly checked the calculation, but how can you get complex eigenvalues for a non-dissipative system of harmonic oscillators?

Yes, I see I have made a sign error; the determinant should be [tex]
(1 - \lambda)((2-\lambda)(1 - \lambda) - \tfrac32 ) - \tfrac12(1 - \lambda) = (1 - \lambda)(\lambda^2 - 3\lambda).[/tex]

Likes Lambda96 and vanhees71
That looks good!

Likes Lambda96
I should also note that we expect a zero eigenvalue: The centre of mass does not accelerate, so [tex]m_i \ddot x_i = m_i M_{ij} x_j = 0[/tex] for every [itex]x_j[/itex]. But this requires that [tex]m_i M_{ij} = 0[/tex] so [itex]m_i \neq 0[/itex] is a left eigenvector with eigenvalue zero.

Likes Lambda96 and vanhees71
Thank you pasmith and vanhees71 for your help 👍👍, sorry I'm only getting back to you now, the last few weeks have been a bit stressful 🙃

Now I have understood how I can solve the task much easier, thank you very much 👍

One quick question, does the sign of the eigenvalues actually tell me in which direction the masses are moving?

Lambda96 said:
One quick question, does the sign of the eigenvalues actually tell me in which direction the masses are moving?

No. If [itex]\lambda < 0[/itex] then [itex]\mathbf{x} = \mathbf{v}e^{\pm \omega_0\sqrt{|\lambda|}t}[/itex] and we have exponential growth or decay. Thus we must have [itex]\lambda \geq 0[/itex]. The zero eigenvalue corresponds to a constant drift of the centre of mass; the other eigenvalues give the frequencies of oscillation about the centre of mass. The corresponding eigenvectors will show you the relative motion of the masses.

1. What is a 3 mass coupled oscillator system?

A 3 mass coupled oscillator system is a physical system consisting of three masses connected by springs and allowed to oscillate freely. The motion of each mass is influenced by the other two masses, resulting in complex and interesting behavior.

2. How does the behavior of a 3 mass coupled oscillator differ from a single oscillator?

In a single oscillator, the motion is determined solely by the properties of that oscillator. However, in a 3 mass coupled oscillator system, the motion of each mass is influenced by the other two masses, resulting in a more complex and interconnected behavior.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a 3 mass coupled oscillator system?

The behavior of a 3 mass coupled oscillator system is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the springs, and the initial conditions of the system. Additionally, external forces and damping can also play a role in the system's behavior.

4. How is the motion of a 3 mass coupled oscillator system described mathematically?

The motion of a 3 mass coupled oscillator system can be described using differential equations, specifically the equations of motion for each mass. These equations take into account the masses, spring constants, and initial conditions to determine the position and velocity of each mass at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of 3 mass coupled oscillators?

3 mass coupled oscillators have various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of molecular vibrations, electronic circuits, and mechanical systems. They are also used in seismology to model the behavior of earthquakes and in the design of structures to withstand vibrations and oscillations.