How to find the coefficients of this expansion?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and finding the orthogonality of functions to determine the value of B. The source mentioned is Jackson Classical Electrodynamics 3rd Edition, which guarantees the orthogonality of functions. An alternative expansion using a series of functions is also mentioned.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
z.
Relevant Equations
\,
I have solved a differential equation whose solutions is $$u = B + \sum_{n=1} C_{n }e^{-\lambda_{n}² q² t} J_{0}(\lambda_{n}r)$$

Where ##(\lambda_{n}r)## is such that ##J_{0}'(\lambda_{n}a) = 0##. So i should now try to satisfy the condition that, at t=0, u = ##f(r)##.

The problem is that i don't know what is the orthogonality here. If ##\lambda_{n}## were such that ##J_{0}(\lambda_{n}a)=0##, i would use the normal orthogonaltiy generally used, namely ##\int_{0}^{a} r J_{0}(\lambda_{n}r)J_{0}(\lambda_{q}r)##

But this dosen't work here, since ##\lambda_{q}a## is not a zero of J0, but it is a zero in fact of its derivative.

Not just it, what orthogornality i would use to find the B?

Likes Twigg
Physics news on Phys.org
Believe it or not, orthogonality, exactly the way you wrote it, is already guaranteed. My source is Jackson Classical Electrodynamics 3rd Edition, bottom of page 115:

But it will be noted that an alternative expansion is possible in a series of functions ##\sqrt{\rho} J_\nu (y_{\nu n}\rho / a)## where ##y_{\nu n}## is the ##n##th root of the equation ##[dJ_\nu(x)]/dx = 0##. The reason is that, in proving the orthogonality of functions, all that is demanded is that thte quantity ##[\rho J_\nu (k\rho) (d/d\rho) J_\nu (k' \rho) - \rho J_\nu (k' \rho) (d/d\rho) J_\nu (k\rho)]## vanish at the endpoints ##\rho = 0## and ##\rho = a##.

1. What is the purpose of finding the coefficients of an expansion?

The coefficients of an expansion are used to represent the relative importance of each term in the expansion. They also help in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations.

2. How do you determine the coefficients of an expansion?

The coefficients of an expansion can be determined by using mathematical techniques such as the binomial theorem, Pascal's triangle, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the given expression and comparing it to known patterns to determine the coefficients.

3. Can the coefficients of an expansion be negative?

Yes, the coefficients of an expansion can be negative. This happens when there are negative terms in the expansion or when the expression being expanded contains negative numbers.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the coefficients of an expansion?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the coefficients of an expansion. For example, the binomial theorem can be used to quickly find the coefficients of binomial expansions. Additionally, recognizing patterns and using algebraic manipulations can also help in finding coefficients more efficiently.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the coefficients of an expansion?

Finding the coefficients of an expansion is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, solve equations, and make predictions. For example, in physics, the coefficients of a Taylor series expansion can be used to approximate the behavior of a physical system. In economics, the coefficients of a production function expansion can be used to measure the impact of different factors on output.