How to find the minimum angular resolution?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the angle resolution of a telescope for ultraviolet light with wavelength 240 nm. The equation used was θ = 1.22λ/D and after solving for the values given, the answer was 1.22. There was a typo mentioned, but the answer was confirmed to be correct.
Nat1234123

Homework Statement

λ = 240 nm
D = 2.40 m
We are supposed to find the angle resolution (minimum angular distance between two objects so we
still see them as two separate objects) to the telescope for ultraviolet light with wavelength 240 nm

Homework Equations

The equation that I used is θ = 1.22 \frac{λ}{D}

The Attempt at a Solution

θ = 1.22 \frac{λ}{D} and putting the values in, in meters. However, my answer was 1.99 * 10^-7, the answer according to the book is 7 * 10^6

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, the answer in the book is wrong. You can't have an angular resolution that high. In fact you can't have an angular resolution greater than π. How did you get 1.99 from 1.22? What is the ratio 240 nm/2.4 m?

kuruman said:
Obviously, the answer in the book is wrong. You can't have an angular resolution that high. In fact you can't have an angular resolution greater than π. How did you get 1.99 from 1.22? What is the ratio 240 nm/2.4 m?
Sorry, it was a typo. I did get 1.22, my apologies.

Nat1234123 said:
Sorry, it was a typo. I did get 1.22, my apologies.
Then your answer is correct.

1. What is the definition of angular resolution?

Angular resolution is the ability of a device or observer to distinguish between two closely spaced objects in angular units, such as degrees or arcseconds. It is a measure of the smallest angle between two objects that can be resolved by the device or observer.

2. How is the angular resolution of a device determined?

The angular resolution of a device is determined by its physical properties, such as the size of its aperture or the wavelength of the light it uses. It can also be affected by external factors, such as atmospheric conditions or the quality of the optics.

3. What is the relationship between angular resolution and magnification?

There is an inverse relationship between angular resolution and magnification. As the magnification of a device increases, the angular resolution decreases. This means that higher magnification does not necessarily result in better resolution of closely spaced objects.

4. How can the minimum angular resolution be calculated?

The minimum angular resolution can be calculated using the following formula: θ = 1.22 λ/D, where θ is the angular resolution, λ is the wavelength of light used, and D is the diameter of the device's aperture. This formula is known as the Rayleigh criterion and is based on the diffraction limit.

5. What are some techniques to improve the minimum angular resolution?

One technique to improve the minimum angular resolution is to increase the aperture size of the device. This allows for more light to enter and can result in better resolution. Another technique is to use shorter wavelengths of light, such as infrared or ultraviolet, which have smaller diffraction limits. Additionally, using advanced optics and image processing techniques can also improve the angular resolution of a device.