How to find the orientation of polarization of a polarizer

In summary, to find the orientation of polarization of a new linear polarizer, you can use a known polarizer in series or a known source of light with polarization. Another option is to use a quarter wave plate with a known fast axis. If you do not have another known polarizer, you can use an LCD screen or look at the light reflected by a shiny floor to determine the orientation of the polarizer. The reflected light will be partially polarized parallel to the floor and when the floor appears darkest, the direction of the polarizer is vertical.
boxfullofvacuumtubes
If you have a new linear polarizer, how do you find its orientation of polarization? In other words, how do you orient it so it would, let say, polarize light vertically if there is no marking for the 0 degrees angle?

Science news on Phys.org
The easiest way would be using a known linear polariser and place them in series or use a known polarised source of light such as the sky or an angled reflection.

Edit: Or the light from an LCD screen. A few years back I noted in delight that all LCDs in the bus stations where I lived had the correct polarisation orientation to be seen with polarised sunglasses (which are always oriented the same way to reduce reflections on horizontal surfaces) assuming you keep your head vertical. Whether by happy coincidence or intelligent design I cannot say.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur and vanhees71
If I don't have another known linear polarizer to check the orientation against, is there any way to use a quarter wave plate with a known fast axis for this purpose? I just can't think of any, but smart people around here might.

Orodruin, I like your idea to use an LCD screen as a source of light with known polarization.

The polarization of one of the LCD displays I have here is oriented at 45 degrees relative to the edges.
But you can always look at the light reflected by a shiny floor, at some angle. The reflected light is partially polarized parallel to the floor.
When the floor looks the darkest through the polarizer the direction of the polarizer is vertical (perpendicular to the floor).

Likes vanhees71 and boxfullofvacuumtubes
I recently made the same observation as mentioned in the thread "Flipping a polarizer 180deg. changes polarization" with some film I purchased on ebay to repair the LCD displays on my tractor's instrument cluster.
I eventually realized that the polarization axis is offset by 45°. Flipping the film about its H or V axis is equivalent to rotating by 90°.
I determined the film's polarization axis by noting the effect of viewing reflections from water surfaces.

boxfullofvacuumtubes said:
Orodruin, I like your idea to use an LCD screen as a source of light with known polarization.
Have you tried your phone screen? If it's polarized then it's along the longer side.

In the absence of anything else, you can look at oblique reflections of a clean sheet of glass.
If you have a simple polariser with unknown polarisation plane, you could check results by finding nulls for light in both directions.
As far as I can make out, the 'true' polarisation will correspond to the bisector between the two results.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is polarization?

Polarization is a property of electromagnetic waves that describes the direction of the electric field oscillations within the wave. In simple terms, it refers to the orientation of the wave's electric field.

2. How does a polarizer work?

A polarizer is a device that filters light by allowing only certain orientations of polarization to pass through. It works by blocking all light waves except those that are aligned with the direction of the polarizer's transmission axis.

3. How do you determine the orientation of polarization of a polarizer?

The orientation of polarization of a polarizer can be determined by using a polarizing filter or polarimeter. These devices can measure the angle at which the polarizer blocks the maximum amount of light, which corresponds to the direction of the polarizer's transmission axis.

4. What factors affect the orientation of polarization of a polarizer?

The orientation of polarization of a polarizer can be affected by the material it is made of, the angle at which light is incident on the polarizer, and any external electric or magnetic fields present. These factors can alter the orientation of the polarizer's transmission axis and therefore affect its filtering capabilities.

5. How is the orientation of polarization used in science and technology?

The orientation of polarization is used in a variety of scientific and technological applications, such as in optical instruments, LCD screens, and telecommunications. By controlling the orientation of polarization, scientists and engineers can manipulate the properties of light and create devices with specific functions.