How to find the potential difference with constant charge

In summary, the problem is asking how to calculate the electric field and potential difference when there is a constant charge density between the capacitor instead of a vacuum. The relevant equations are the integral form of Gauss's law and the integral form of the electric field. The person is unsure of how to approach this problem, as they only know how to calculate in the case of a vacuum or dielectric.
mattz205

Homework Statement

How would i go about finding the electric field and potential difference when there is a constant charge density between the capacitor rather than a vacuum?

Homework Equations

int E dot dA = Qencl/epsilon0
V ab = int E dot dl

The Attempt at a Solution

to be honest I am not really sure where to start this, i know how to find all this when there is a vacuum or dielectric, but what would i do to find it when there is a constant charge density?

Physics news on Phys.org
mattz205 said:

Homework Statement

How would i go about finding the electric field and potential difference when there is a constant charge density between the capacitor rather than a vacuum?

Homework Equations

int E dot dA = Qencl/epsilon0
V ab = int E dot dl

The Attempt at a Solution

to be honest I am not really sure where to start this, i know how to find all this when there is a vacuum or dielectric, but what would i do to find it when there is a constant charge density?
Please post the problem as stated to you.

Related to How to find the potential difference with constant charge

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How do you find the potential difference with constant charge?

The potential difference can be calculated by dividing the amount of charge (Q) by the capacitance (C) of the circuit. This can be represented by the equation V = Q/C.

3. What is constant charge?

Constant charge refers to the amount of electric charge that remains unchanged or constant in a given system. This means that there is no net flow of charge in or out of the system.

4. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. This indicates that the flow of electric charge is in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the current when calculating potential difference.

5. How is potential difference related to electric potential energy?

Potential difference is directly related to electric potential energy. An increase in potential difference results in an increase in potential energy, while a decrease in potential difference results in a decrease in potential energy. This relationship is represented by the equation PE = QV, where PE is the electric potential energy, Q is the amount of charge, and V is the potential difference.