How to find the voltage threshold at which diode switches states?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an offset model to obtain the equivalent circuit for a diode in a given circuit. After applying KVL, it is deduced that the diode must be ON in this case, and the problem is to find the diode current at the switching threshold to calculate the output voltage. The largest input voltage that still allows for forward diode current is determined to be 1uA, and it is noted that the answer for the problem should be -4.5V. The possibility of replacing the diode with an open circuit at the OFF state is also mentioned.
Andrei0408
Homework Statement
The diode in the figure is described by its offset model: U_D0=0.6V and r_d=0. Knowing that E_0=3.9V, find the voltage threshold u_l, at which the diode switches to its opposite state.
Relevant Equations
u_l=−u_D−i_D * R
I've attached pictures with the circuit and part of the attempted solution. I've replaced the diode with its offset model and obtained the equivalent circuit in the 2nd picture. After applying KVL, I've obtained that u_l=−u_D−i_D*R. Since U_D0 is greater than 0, I've deduced that the diode must be ON in this case, therefore u_D=0, so u_l=−i_D*R. The problem is I don't know how to find i_D so I can calculate u_l. The answer for this problem should be, according to the book, −4.5 . Any ideas? Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_13.png
    Screenshot_13.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 84
  • received_461045691428275.png
    received_461045691428275.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 95
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the diode current right at the threshold of switching? How does that effect your KVL equation?

So, let's say you started with a very negative input voltage, so you know the diode is conducting, what happens as you increase that input towards the switching threshold?

Likes Andrei0408
Well, when the diode switches to its OFF state, the current should be 0, U_D should be negative, so we could replace the diode with an open circuit, since there is no current

Andrei0408 said:
Well, when the diode switches to its OFF state, the current should be 0, U_D should be negative, so we could replace the diode with an open circuit, since there is no current
Yes, so how can you use that fact in the equations you created? What is KVL right at the threshold, when the current first reaches 0? What is the largest input voltage you can have and still have forward diode current (let's say 1uA)?

Likes Andrei0408
DaveE said:
Yes, so how can you use that fact in the equations you created? What is KVL right at the threshold, when the current first reaches 0? What is the largest input voltage you can have and still have forward diode current (let's say 1uA)?
Since the answer we're looking for should be -4.5V, I've observed that this could be -(0.6+3.9). So using this logic, u_D = E_0 and i_D * R = U_D0. Is this correct?
EDIT: I think I may have understood: if the diode is OFF then the input voltage is negative, which is why u_l = -U_D0 - E_0, please correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the voltage threshold for a diode?

The voltage threshold for a diode is the minimum voltage required to switch the diode from its non-conducting state to its conducting state. This is an important parameter to know because it determines when the diode will start conducting and can affect the overall performance of a circuit.

2. How do you determine the voltage threshold for a diode?

The voltage threshold for a diode can be determined experimentally by gradually increasing the voltage applied to the diode until it starts conducting. This voltage is then recorded as the voltage threshold. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the diode's datasheet, which provides information on the diode's characteristics.

3. What factors can affect the voltage threshold for a diode?

The voltage threshold for a diode can be affected by various factors such as temperature, current, and the type of diode. As temperature increases, the voltage threshold may decrease due to increased electron mobility. Higher currents can also lower the voltage threshold, while different types of diodes may have different voltage thresholds due to their varying properties.

4. How does the voltage threshold affect the performance of a diode?

The voltage threshold can affect the performance of a diode by determining when it starts conducting and how much current it can handle. If the voltage threshold is too high, the diode may not start conducting when needed, leading to a malfunction in the circuit. On the other hand, if the voltage threshold is too low, the diode may start conducting too early, resulting in excessive current flow and potential damage to the diode.

5. Can the voltage threshold for a diode change over time?

Yes, the voltage threshold for a diode can change over time due to factors such as aging, temperature, and stress. This is why it is important to regularly test and monitor the performance of diodes in a circuit to ensure they are operating within their specified voltage threshold. If the voltage threshold changes significantly, it may be necessary to replace the diode to maintain proper circuit functioning.