How to find the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone

In summary: Unless the intention was to do it by decomposition in cones, which I doubt because it is a triple integral, the hard way.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a hemisphere using triple integral in spherical coordinates. The final radius is R and the angle of 30° refers to the cone alone. The problem is abandoned by the OP.
Another
upload_2018-2-10_18-27-17.png

Volume of hemi-sphere = ∫ ∫ ∫ r2 sinθ dr dθ dφ

i thing (r < r < (r + R)cosθ ) ( 0 < θ < 60 = π/6) and ( 0 < φ < 2π)

integral = 2π ∫ ⅓r3 sin θ dθ

= 2π ∫ ⅓ [((r+R)cosθ)3 - r3] sin θ dθ

i don't know how to find volume of hemi-spere

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-10_18-27-17.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,030
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not open more than one thread with the same topic, especially if the two are both ambiguous: with or without cone, what is ##r## needed for and what is ##a## in your other thread. Furthermore, do not delete the homework template, use it! It makes reading a lot easier and if you delete it, it can be viewed as disrespectful to those who are willing to answer.

I closed the other one.

fresh_42 said:
Please do not open more than one thread with the same topic, especially if the two are both ambiguous: with or without cone, what is ##r## needed for and what is ##a## in your other thread. Furthermore, do not delete the homework template, use it! It makes reading a lot easier and if you delete it, it can be viewed as disrespectful to those who are willing to answer.

I closed the other one.
I'm sorryi have problem about find volume of hemisphere on cone using triple integral. (spherical coordinates)
I do not know the true extent of r (From 0 to ?)

Beside what I've written in the other thread, with the mistakes mentioned and referring to the hemisphere without the cone involved, the final radius is ##R##. You had it almost all, beside that ##\cos \frac{\pi}{2}=0## and ##\cos 0 = 1## you only had to solve ##\int_0^R r^2dr## plus eventually the volume of the cone. I assume that it is a full hemisphere above the cone and the angle of ##30°## refers to the cone alone.

Too bad the OP has apparently abandoned this thread. It is a half way interesting problem if done directly in untranslated spherical coordinates.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone is (1/3)πr2h + (2/3)πr3, where r is the radius of the cone and h is the height of the cone.

2. How do you calculate the radius of a cone?

The radius of a cone can be calculated by dividing the diameter of the base of the cone by 2. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the radius if the slant height and height of the cone are known.

3. What is the difference between a hemisphere and a cone?

A hemisphere is a three-dimensional shape that is half of a sphere, while a cone is a three-dimensional shape with a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point. A cone can also be thought of as a pyramid with a circular base.

4. Can the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone be negative?

No, the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone cannot be negative. Volume is always a positive quantity, representing the amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object.

5. Why is it important to know the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone?

Knowing the volume of a hemisphere on top of a cone can be useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It can help in designing structures and calculating the amount of material needed for construction. It is also used in fluid mechanics to understand the flow of liquids through cones and vessels.