How to find this answer using logarithmic table?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the quotient 3/5840 using a logarithmic table. The participants discuss different methods for finding the logarithm of a product and a quotient, and recommend using old textbooks on Intermediate Algebra as a resource for learning how to use log tables. Ultimately, the most helpful solution is provided by Mark, who explains how to use the table to solve the problem at hand.
Dinesh321
[Mod Note: moved into homework forum, so template not present]

3/5840=0.00051
How to find this answer using logarithmic table? Thanks in advance.?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you do to find the logarithm of a product ?
And what for the logarithm of a quotient ?

What kind of logarithmic table do you have available?

I want to find quotient of 3 and 5840.

Dinesh321 said:
I want to find quotient of 3 and 5840.

We know.

Now answer our questions.

I am using Logarithmic table (of 11th standard student).

Dinesh321 said:
I am using Logarithmic table (of 11th standard student).

That doesn't tell us anything. Please describe the table or attach a picture.

And answer BvU too.

My guess is the table is similar to the one in the CRC series of books. It's a table of 900 logs (base 10) for values 0.100 to 0.999, to 4 decimal places. The CRC books explain how to use the log tables.

You need to convert all of the numbers involved into a form similar to scientific notation. For this problem, 3 = .3 * 101, so log(3) = log(.3 * 101) = log(.3) + log(101) = log(.3) + 1

To calculate the log of a product, use the fact that log(AB) = log(A) + log(B). To calculate the log of a quotient, use the fact that log(A/B) = log(A) - log(B).

Thanks Mark for answering my question...:wink:... however, it was meant for Dinesh...

Old textbooks on Intermediate Algebra had good instructions for how to use log tables. Those would be the best way to learn this. Learning to use such tables will require some studying, maybe a couple of weeks if you are new to this; maybe a couple hours or so if you had done it previously. All the while, keep reminding yourself the meaning of LOGARITHM, base, and ANTI-LOG. Not telling you how. I'm just suggesting where to look.

Likes SammyS

1. How do I use a logarithmic table?

To use a logarithmic table, first identify the base of the logarithm you are trying to solve. Then, locate the corresponding column in the table. Next, find the row with the number you are trying to take the logarithm of. The number at the intersection of the row and column is the answer.

2. What is the purpose of a logarithmic table?

A logarithmic table is used to simplify the process of solving logarithmic equations. It provides a quick method for finding the logarithm of a number without having to use a calculator or perform complex calculations.

3. How do I find the antilog using a logarithmic table?

To find the antilog using a logarithmic table, first identify the base of the logarithm. Then, locate the column with the corresponding base in the table. Next, find the row with the logarithm value. The number at the intersection of the row and column is the antilog.

4. Can I use a logarithmic table for any base?

Yes, logarithmic tables are available for various bases, including common bases like 10 and e. When using a logarithmic table, make sure to locate the correct column for the base you are working with.

5. Are there any tips for using a logarithmic table effectively?

One tip for using a logarithmic table effectively is to practice using it with different numbers and bases. This will help you become more familiar with the table and improve your speed and accuracy in finding logarithms.