What does the identity mean here?

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorporation of identity into a table in the context of group theory. The most general notation for bijections, the set, neutral element, and binary operation, is often written as cycles. It is important to define the direction in which bijections are read, and it is commonly done from right to left. This information helps in understanding how to use the notation in specific cases.
PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Let ##S_3## be the set of all bijections on the set ##\{1,2,3\}##. Then, construct the Cayley table for the group ##(S_3, id, \circ)##.
Relevant Equations
None.
I don't understand why the identity is mentioned in the group's definition and how I am supposed to incorporate it into the table. I honestly have missed some lectures on Linear Algebra, and I can't find any examples or definitions for this in the prof's notes. I'd appreciate some help for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all depends on how you write those bijections. The notion ##(S_3,id,\circ)## is the most general one. It notes the set, the neutral element, and the binary operation.

Most common notation is to write those bijections as cycles: ##S_3=\{(1),(12),(13),(23),(123),(132)\}## where ##(abc)## stands for: ##a\longmapsto b \longmapsto c \longmapsto a## and ##e\longmapsto e## if a number isn't mentioned, or in case of ##(1)## where it is used instead of ##().## Here we have ##(1)=id.##

Likes PhysicsRock
fresh_42 said:
It all depends on how you write those bijections. The notion ##(S_3,id,\circ)## is the most general one. It notes the set, the neutral element, and the binary operation.

Most common notation is to write those bijections as cycles: ##S_3=\{(1),(12),(13),(23),(123),(132)\}## where ##(abc)## stands for: ##a\longmapsto b \longmapsto c \longmapsto a## and ##e\longmapsto e## if a number isn't mentioned, or in case of ##(1)## where it is used instead of ##().## Here we have ##(1)=id.##
Thank you so much. That helps a lot

You also must define whether you read consecutive bijections from left to right or from right to left. I prefer from right to left, i.e. ##(f\circ g)[x]=f[g[x]].## In the case of cycles, we get e.g. ## (12)\circ (132)=(13).## It reads ##(12)\circ (132)[1]=(12)[3]=3\, , \,(12)\circ (132)[2]=(12)[1]=2\, , \,(12)\circ (132)[3]=(12)[2]=1## so ##1\longmapsto 3 \longmapsto 1## and ##2## is a fixed point, i.e. the result is ##(13).##

1. What is identity in science?

Identity in science refers to the characteristics or traits that make an individual or object unique and distinguishable from others. It can include physical attributes, genetic makeup, behavior, and other defining factors.

2. Why is identity important in scientific research?

Identity is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately identify and classify different organisms, materials, or phenomena. This is crucial for understanding their properties, functions, and relationships with other elements in the natural world.

3. How is identity determined in science?

Identity can be determined in science through various methods such as genetic testing, physical measurements, behavioral observations, and chemical analysis. These techniques help scientists to identify and categorize different entities based on their unique characteristics.

4. Can identity change over time?

Yes, identity can change over time in certain cases. For example, organisms can undergo genetic mutations or physical changes that alter their identity. Additionally, objects can undergo chemical reactions or transformations that change their properties and therefore their identity.

5. How does identity relate to diversity in science?

Identity is closely related to diversity in science as it allows for the recognition and appreciation of the vast array of unique characteristics and traits present in the natural world. Understanding and preserving diversity is crucial for the advancement of scientific knowledge and the sustainability of our planet.