How to find Voltages and currents of the following circuit

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the homework statement is that there is a circuit with an attachedjpg file that includes Ohms law, KCL equations, and P = VI or V^2/R. The Attempt at a Solution is that the OP attempted to solve for VA, VB, and IA but messed up on A and mA. The final conclusion is that VA and VB are correct, but IA is wrong.
itzernie

Homework Statement

The circuit of the given problem is attached to this post (jpg file). All info is given in the photo.
Problem: find VA, VB, IA.

Homework Equations

Ohms law
KCL equations
P = VI or V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

- First, I noted that VB = 9 - VA.
- next, i set up a KCL equation at VA:
-.004VB + VA/30 + (2VA -18)/30 = 0
- i plugged in VB:
-.004(9-VA) + VA/30 + (2VA -18)/30 = 0

- Solved for VA = 6.115 V
- Therefore VB must = 2.885 V (given everything so far is correct

- by Ohm's law, IA = VB / 15 k ohms
- IA = 0.1923 mA

- so at this point I have values for all i need to solve the problem, but to check if i was right I wanted to check consv of power.

- KCL at VA node = .1923 + 11.54 = IB
IB = 11.7323 mA

When I checked the power on all 4 items in this circuit, the power did not check out to zero, so somewhere I messed up but I have no idea where.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 307
Physics news on Phys.org
itzernie said:
...somewhere I messed up but I have no idea where.
I'd look to how you handled the resistances versus the controlled current source magnitude. You've dropped the "k" on the resistors implying that currents will be in mA, but left the controlled source multiplier as is. :wink:

Likes itzernie
I think you have the right answer for VA and VB, but, as gneill says, you have messed up A and mA on the currents, so IB is definitely wrong. Also, make sure you pay attention to the signs on the powers.

Likes itzernie
Thanks for the help and time!
but Ok so seeing VA and VB believed to be correct is reassuring and leads me to believe that somewhere it is just a small error when dealing with powers.

But ok so in this case either my source calc or IA must be wrong since IB calculations come afterwards...

so IA = 2.885V / 15Kohm = 0.1923 mA
source: .004(2.885V) A = 0.01154 A which can be translated to 11.54 mA ??

I feel like I need new glasses right now lol

I see Va being larger, much closer to 9 V. Vb will be pretty small. The currents should be small too, all of them less than a milliamp.

gneill said:
I see Va being larger, much closer to 9 V. Vb will be pretty small. The currents should be small too, all of them less than a milliamp.

WAIT ! I think I see it. Is it because in my KCL equation where I solve for Va... By only dividing by 30 those are milliamps whereas the source is Amos so to balance it I need to change the .004(9-Va) to 4(9-Va). Which is the issue you first stated ?

It is! It's safer to first write the node equation with the k's still in, then multiply through by 1000 to eliminate them. That catches all the conversions.

Likes itzernie
My bad. I made the same mistake as the OP. Ignore my earlier post and listen to gneill.

Likes itzernie

1. How does one calculate the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R), or V = I x R.

2. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit.

3. How do I find the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit can be found by dividing the voltage (V) by the resistance (R), or I = V/R.

4. What is the unit of measurement for voltage and current?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), while current is measured in amperes (A).

5. Can I use a multimeter to measure voltage and current in a circuit?

Yes, a multimeter is a useful tool for measuring both voltage and current in a circuit. Make sure to set the multimeter to the appropriate range for the best accuracy.