How to find volume of irregular & porous material spong

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of finding the volume of irregular and porous materials like a sponge. One method suggested is soaking the sponge in a measured amount of water and then measuring the volume by displacement. The possibility of airspaces affecting the measurement is also discussed. Another method mentioned is using Gibbs dividing surface for surfaces with molecular dimensions. However, the questioner asks for other possible methods, but the responder reminds them to put forth their own efforts before providing solutions.
Nishaaa
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

How to find volumeof irregular and porous material like sponge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Nishaaa said:
How to find volumeof irregular and porous material like sponge?
How did Aesop's crow get to drink the water?

Likes anorlunda
haruspex said:
How did Aesop's crow get to drink the water?

soaking sponge in water (measured amount) and then measurmnt of voume by displacement. Is it a right way?

Nishaaa said:
soaking sponge in water (measured amount) and then measurmnt of voume by displacement. Is it a right way?
Sounds ok to me. One question is whether there might be any airspaces the water cannot reach, but then it is not clear whether you would want count this as part of the porous material's volume or not.

Nishaaa said:
There are at least a couple other ways I can think of to do it. Is this question for your schoolwork? What other ways can you think of doing it? :smile:

"
Gibbs dividing surface (or Gibbs surface10) is a geometrical surface chosen parallel to the interface defined in §1.1.2 and used to define the volumes of the bulk phases in applying the foregoing definition to the calculation of the extent of adsorption, and of other surface excess properties.

For flat or only slightly curved surfaces one is free to define the position of the Gibbs surface in the manner most convenient for the discussion of a particular problem. In what follows it is assumed that this freedom exists; it must be remembered, however, that for surfaces whose radii of curvature approach molecular dimensions, the definitions become ambiguous." --- from "definition of adsorbent volume," google.

berkeman said:
There are at least a couple other ways I can think of to do it. Is this question for your schoolwork? What other ways can you think of doing it? :smile:
What are the other ways?

haruspex said:
Sounds ok to me. One question is whether there might be any airspaces the water cannot reach, but then it is not clear whether you would want count this as part of the porous material's volume or not.
But it would be heavier enough so that volume can be measured by displacement method. There can be a chance that it dies not absorb water in first place. Any other method that you can suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nishaaa said:
What are the other ways?
You go first.

And you did not answer my question:
berkeman said:
Is this question for your schoolwork?

Yes for school

berkeman said:
You go first.

And you did not answer my question:
I apologise. Yes school work

When it's for schoolwork, you need to show your best efforts to solve the problem. We cannot provide solutions for you. So what other ways come to mind to find the volume?

Related to How to find volume of irregular & porous material spong

1. How do I measure the volume of an irregular and porous material sponge?

To measure the volume of an irregular and porous material sponge, you will need to use the water displacement method. First, fill a graduated cylinder or beaker with a known amount of water. Then, carefully place the sponge into the water and record the new water level. The difference between the two water levels is the volume of the sponge.

2. Can I use a ruler to measure the volume of an irregular and porous material sponge?

No, using a ruler will not accurately measure the volume of an irregular and porous material sponge. This method only works for regular, solid objects. The water displacement method is the most accurate way to measure the volume of a sponge.

3. Does the size of the sponge affect its volume?

Yes, the size of a sponge does affect its volume. The larger the sponge, the larger the volume will be. This is because volume is a measure of the amount of space an object takes up, so a larger sponge will take up more space than a smaller one.

4. How do I calculate the volume of a porous material sponge with holes or gaps?

If your sponge has holes, gaps, or other irregularities, you can still use the water displacement method to calculate its volume. However, you may need to submerge the sponge multiple times to get an accurate measurement. Alternatively, you can also use a formula such as V = l x w x h to calculate the volume of a regular-shaped sponge and subtract the volume of the holes or gaps from the total.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for volume?

Yes, volume is typically measured in cubic units such as cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic inches (in^3). However, for larger objects, other units such as liters (L) or gallons (gal) may be used. It is important to make sure that all measurements are in the same units before calculating the volume.