Physics Working Model Ideas please

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for a physics working model for an 8th grade group project. The topic of flight or electromagnetism is suggested, with potential ideas including building a motor, a rubber band ornithopter, or using magnetic fluid. The conversation also suggests researching science fair projects and the Intel Science & Engineering Competition for inspiration.
Mr.maniac
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I need some ideas for a 8 grade level physics working model for a group project. I am thinking of flight or electro magnetism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cryogenically freeze some copper rings and shoot them with magnets?

Mr.maniac said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I need some ideas for a 8 grade level physics working model for a group project. I am thinking of flight or electro magnetism.

Tell us some more of your ideas. Have you searched Google for the topic of Science Fair Projects?

Like building a motor
Or (I think overly ambitious) a small rubber band ornithopter.

Or also magnetic fluid

berkeman said:
Have you searched Google for the topic of Science Fair Projects?

I'll repeat that this search should give you *lots* of ideas. Also look up the Intel Science & Engineering Competition -- there are some pretty amazing projects spread across a wide range of topics. :smile:

Will do

I got the idea of a easy to build motor (not homo polar mind you) not sure because it really needs to bet one of a kind.

Related to Physics Working Model Ideas please

What is a physics working model?

A physics working model is a physical representation or demonstration of a scientific concept or principle in the field of physics. It is created to help individuals better understand complex concepts and theories through hands-on experimentation.

What are some good ideas for a physics working model?

Some good ideas for a physics working model could include demonstrating Newton's laws of motion using a pendulum, creating a simple machine like a pulley to showcase the concept of mechanical advantage, or building a model of the solar system to explain planetary motion.

What materials are commonly used to create physics working models?

Common materials used to create physics working models include cardboard, wood, plastic, and various household items such as straws, rubber bands, and marbles. Electronic components such as motors, batteries, and LED lights can also be incorporated into more advanced models.

How can I make my physics working model more engaging?

To make your physics working model more engaging, you can consider adding interactive elements such as buttons or levers that allow viewers to manipulate the model and see the effects of their actions in real-time. You can also use colorful and visually appealing materials to make the model more interesting and eye-catching.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when creating a physics working model?

When creating a physics working model, it is important to always prioritize safety. Some safety precautions to keep in mind include wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves when using tools, making sure all electrical components are properly insulated, and using caution when handling potentially hazardous materials such as acids or strong magnets.