How to fix EOF error when transitioning from Windows to Linux?

In summary: If you can provide us with the output of the following commands, we might be able to help you:$ dos2unix filenameI usually have to run dos2unix to fix the newlines on my Windows text files that I've transferred to Unix.If you can provide us with the output of the following commands, we might be able to help you:$ dos2unix filenameIn summary, you are getting a confusing EOF error. You have working code which you have tested in Cygwin on Windows, but now that you are running the same code on Fedora Linux, you are getting an EOF error in a data file that you know works. Is there
swartzism
I am getting a confusing EOF error. I have working code which I have tested in Cygwin on Windows, but now that I am running the same code on Fedora Linux, I am getting an EOF error in a data file that I know works. Is there something I need to do in the transition from Windows to Linux to prevent this?

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
I can be completely off with my thinking, but is it a text, or binary file? And is it opened as text, or as binary?

It's a text file opened correctly as a text file. I'm exploring the idea that I don't have the proper permissions to read/write since I'm not root on this Linux computer.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi swartzism! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You'll have to give us a bit more information to help you.
There are a number of reasons why what you're doing might fail.

Can you give a more detailed description from the error that you're getting?
Perhaps what does work and what doesn't?

Can you provide us with the output of the following commands?

$ ls -l filename

$ od -tx1 filename

where filename is your data file?

Last edited:
swartzism said:
It's a text file opened correctly as a text file. I'm exploring the idea that I don't have the proper permissions to read/write since I'm not root on this Linux computer.

Thanks for the reply.

Your code should be capable of giving you a more useful error message than that. If I knew the language, I might be able to show you how to make it give you more information (assuming it's one I know).

For example, in C (keeping in mind I've not tested it, it's from memory, but that should give you the gist):

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <string.h>

#define INPUT_FILENAME "somefile.txt"

int main()
{
    FILE *fp = NULL;

errno = 0;
    fp = fopen(INPUT_FILENAME, "r");
    if (errno != 0)
    {
        int err = errno;
        fprintf(stderr, "Error opening file \"%s\" (%d): %s\n", INPUT_FILENAME, err, strerror(err));
        return -1;
    }
}

Important edit: fopen returns a NULL and sets errno on error. I'm not checking for the null, but it's just a demonstration for how to use errno, not an example of perfect error handling in fopen. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:
swartzism said:
It's a text file opened correctly as a text file.
A windows text file and a linux text file have different file formats (specifically, in regard to newlines).

It would be much easier to pin down the error if you could show us code or otherwise better explain what the error actually is.

Hurkyl said:
A windows text file and a linux text file have different file formats (specifically, in regard to newlines).

It would be much easier to pin down the error if you could show us code or otherwise better explain what the error actually is.
I usually have to run dos2unix to fix the newlines on my Windows text files that I've transferred to Unix.

What is the difference between Windows and Unix?

Windows and Unix are two operating systems. Windows is a proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft, while Unix is an open-source operating system developed by AT&T Bell Labs. They have different user interfaces, file systems, and command languages.

Which operating system is more secure?

Both Windows and Unix have their own security measures in place. However, Unix is generally considered to be more secure due to its open-source nature. It allows for a larger community of developers to identify and fix security issues.

Which operating system is more user-friendly?

Windows is typically viewed as more user-friendly due to its graphical user interface (GUI) and intuitive design. However, Unix has a steeper learning curve and is often preferred by more advanced users and programmers.

Which operating system is better for business?

Both Windows and Unix have their advantages for business use. Windows is more commonly used in corporate environments due to its user-friendly interface and compatibility with many software programs. Unix, on the other hand, is preferred for large-scale operations and servers due to its stability and security.

Can software developed for one operating system be used on the other?

No, software developed for Windows cannot be used on Unix and vice versa. Each operating system has its own set of libraries and APIs that are not compatible with the other. However, there are some applications and tools that are cross-platform and can be used on both operating systems.