How to Generate Cubes without Cubing: A Proof Method

• I
  • Thread starter Charles H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
Charles H
TL;DR Summary
The difference between the cubes or any 2 consecutive integers is always a prime number.
I have tested the above proposition thru the integer 90, and have found that the proposition holds true. I'm not sure of the method to prove that this would always be true. Any help, criticism, or proof is welcome.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Do you mean the difference between ##6^3-5^3=216-125=91=7\cdot 13?##

What you can prove is, that it is always an odd number. Do you know how to do this?

Likes e_jane, Vanadium 50, FactChecker and 1 other person
Sorry. There are a great many exceptions below 90. I assume that you tested it to 90 using a computer program of some sort. If you are interested, we might help you to find the bug in the program.

Likes Vanadium 50, berkeman and jedishrfu
Charles H said:
TL;DR Summary: The difference between the cubes or any 2 consecutive integers is always a prime number.
Specifically:
$$(n+1)^3 - n^3 = 3n^2 + 3n + 1$$So the sequence is:
$$1, 7, 19,37,61, 91(*), 127, 169(*), 217(*), 271, 331, 397, 469(*) \dots $$Those with an (*) are not prime.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
t is always an odd number
All odd numbers greater than one are prime. 3, 5, 7, 9 (experimental error), 11, 13...

[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 3h^2 + 3n + 1[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 3n(n+1)+ 1[/tex]

Now that does not factor, so it will be the case that it is sometimers prime, It's also, as pointed out, never divisible by 2 and by inspection never divisible by 3.

But suppose [itex]n = 7m + 1[/itex]

[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 3(7m+1)(7m + 2)+ 1[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 147m^2 + 63m + 7[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 7(21m^2 +9m + 1)[/tex]

which is by inspection always divisible by 7.

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
PS if we let ##d(n) = 3n^2 + 3n + 1##, then the difference in this sequence is:
$$d(n+1) - d(n) = 6(n+1)$$So, you can generate the sequence of consecutive integer cubes by starting at ##1## and adding the next integer multiple of ##6## each time.

It appears this proposition is not ready for prime time...

• Haha
Likes Mark44
Vanadium 50 said:
But suppose [itex]n = 7m + 1[/itex]

[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 3(7m+1)(7m + 2)+ 1[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 147m^2 + 63m + 7[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^3 - n^3 = 7(21m^2 +9m + 1)[/tex]

which is by inspection always divisible by 7.
And, if ##n = 19m + 2##, then ##d(n)## is divisible by ##19##.

If ##n = 37m + 3##, then ##d(n)## is divisible by ##37##.

If ##n = 61m + 4##, then ##d(n)## is divisible by ##61##.

If ##n = 91m + 5##, then ##d(n)## is divisible by ##91##.

Etc.

Likes Vanadium 50
fresh_42 said:
Hello and :welcome: !

Do you mean the difference between ##6^3-5^3=216-125=91=7\cdot 13?##

What you can prove is, that it is always an odd number. Do you know how to do this?
Thanks. That makes me feel really dumb. I overlooked the result on several examples. And, yes, I know how to prove it will always be odd.

Likes bob012345 and berkeman
PeroK said:
Etc.
Of course you and I both know that there are not just these examples but an infinite number of them.

PeroK said:
PS if we let ##d(n) = 3n^2 + 3n + 1##, then the difference in this sequence is:
$$d(n+1) - d(n) = 6(n+1)$$So, you can generate the sequence of consecutive integer cubes by starting at ##1## and adding the next integer multiple of ##6## each time.
I don't follow that statement. If we let ##D(n)=d(n+1)-d(n)## then ##D(n+1)-D(n)=6## but does it mean anything?

bob012345 said:
I don't follow that statement. If we let ##D(n)=d(n+1)-d(n)## then ##D(n+1)-D(n)=6## but does it mean anything?
It gives you a quick way to generate the cubes without multiplication. The above also follows from:

If ##f(x) = x^3##, then ##f'''(x) = 6##.

PeroK said:
It gives you a quick way to generate the cubes without multiplication. The above also follows from:

If ##f(x) = x^3##, then ##f'''(x) = 6##.
I'm sorry, I just don't see how. Could you work out a few terms please?

bob012345 said:
I'm sorry, I just don't see how. Could you work out a few terms please?
How to generate the cubes without cubing!

1 + 6 = 7; 1 + 7 = 8
7 + 12 = 19; 8 + 19 = 27
19+18 = 37; 27+37 = 64
37 + 24 = 61; 64 + 61 = 125

Likes bob012345

1. How does the proof method of generating cubes without cubing work?

The proof method involves using geometric principles to construct a cube without relying on the traditional method of cubing a number. By carefully arranging smaller cubes in a specific pattern, a larger cube can be generated without performing any cubing operations.

2. What are the advantages of using this proof method over traditional cubing methods?

One advantage of this proof method is that it provides a visual and intuitive way to understand the concept of cubing without relying solely on mathematical operations. It also offers a unique perspective on geometric principles and can help enhance problem-solving skills.

3. Can this proof method be applied to other mathematical concepts besides cubes?

While the proof method was specifically designed for generating cubes without cubing, the underlying geometric principles can potentially be adapted to other mathematical concepts. By exploring similar geometric patterns and arrangements, it may be possible to apply this method to other shapes or mathematical operations.

4. Are there any limitations to using this proof method?

One limitation of this proof method is that it may not be as efficient or practical as traditional cubing methods when working with large numbers. Additionally, the method relies heavily on geometric visualization skills, which may pose challenges for some individuals.

5. How can I learn more about this proof method and practice applying it?

To learn more about the proof method of generating cubes without cubing, you can explore mathematical resources that delve into geometric principles and visualization techniques. Additionally, practicing with different cube arrangements and experimenting with variations of the method can help deepen your understanding and proficiency in applying it.