How to get Masters financial support?

In summary, it is unlikely to receive fellowship support as a masters student, and you may have to take out student loans to pay for your degree. However, you could try to get a teaching assistantship, apply for outside fellowships, or look for a job that offers tuition reimbursement.
InbredDummy
Is it possible to get a masters fellowship? If I don't get into a PhD program I plan on applying to 2 or 3 financial mathematics masters programs, some of them run up to $40,000-$50,000 for the duration of the program.

If there is no way to get a masters fellowship, is there anyway to find a job where the company will pay for me to go part time? Like where I start on day one, and on that day they already have agreed to pay for my financial mathematics degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unlikely to receive fellowship support as a masters student, because the purpose of most fellowships is to give promising PhD students more flexibility in the early stages of their program of study. You could try to get a teaching assistantship, but PhD students are usually given priority over masters students. In some career fields (most notably engineering) employers will support masters study, but since it's unlikely that you're currently working as a quant without a financial mathematics degree, it's unlikely that you will be able to find an employer willing to pay for your degree up front. Realistically you will probably have to take out some student loans to pay for this degree. The silver lining is that, if the programs really do only cost $40,000-50,000 to complete, you should be able to pay off those loans relatively quickly working as a quant. (According to Mark Joshi, quants with no experience typically earn between 35,000 GBP and 50,000 GBP a year, which works out to roughly $70,000-100,000 a year.)

InbredDummy said:
Is it possible to get a masters fellowship? If I don't get into a PhD program I plan on applying to 2 or 3 financial mathematics masters programs, some of them run up to $40,000-$50,000 for the duration of the program.

If there is no way to get a masters fellowship, is there anyway to find a job where the company will pay for me to go part time? Like where I start on day one, and on that day they already have agreed to pay for my financial mathematics degree.

I disagree with the previous poster and say that is should be possible and relatively easy to get a fellowship in mathematics, even if (or especially since!) you're a master's degree student.

Math teaching assistants for introductory math classes, labs, and grading are in very high demand. Many universities even require their math graduate students to have a teaching assistantship at some point. If you don't have research commitments, professors may find you even more attractive a candidate to help with their classes.

If you do plan to do research as a master's student, you could look into applying to outside fellowships from the government or a national organization.

InbredDummy said:

Yes, it is possible but bear in mind that most colleges prefer to give fellowship over Ph.D students.

I am in Financial Maths Programme. Most programme in US does not offer financial support at all in term of RAship and TAship. You might be able to find a job but in this short period of time.

I applied to a master's physics program (didn't actually go, since I got into a PhD program elsewhere). They offered me both a teaching assistantship and a fellowship. Also, in my physics department, all of the master's students are supported by teaching assistantships during the academic year, and research assistantships for their summer in between the two years. Of course, I don't know how it works in mathematics.

Related to How to get Masters financial support?

1. How can I find financial support for my Masters degree?

There are several ways to find financial support for your Masters degree. The first step is to research and apply for scholarships and grants specific to your field of study. You can also look into financial aid options offered by your university, such as loans and work-study programs. Additionally, some employers offer tuition reimbursement for employees pursuing higher education. Lastly, consider reaching out to professional organizations or foundations that offer funding for graduate students.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for financial support for a Masters degree?

The eligibility requirements for financial support vary depending on the source of funding. Scholarships and grants often have specific criteria such as academic merit, financial need, or demographic qualifications. Financial aid from universities typically requires students to be enrolled in a full-time program and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Employer tuition reimbursement may have restrictions based on the employee's job role or length of employment. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each funding opportunity before applying.

3. Is it possible to get a full scholarship for a Masters degree?

While it is possible to receive a full scholarship for a Masters degree, they are highly competitive and not guaranteed. Full scholarships often cover tuition, room and board, and other expenses, and are typically awarded based on exceptional academic or extracurricular achievements. It is important to apply for multiple scholarships and have a strong application to increase your chances of receiving a full scholarship.

4. Can I get financial support for a Masters degree if I am an international student?

Yes, international students may be eligible for financial support for a Masters degree. Many universities offer scholarships and financial aid specifically for international students. Additionally, some countries have government-sponsored programs that provide funding for international students to study in their country. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities specific to international students.

5. Are there any alternative options for financial support for a Masters degree?

Aside from scholarships, grants, and financial aid, there are other alternative options for financial support for a Masters degree. Some students may choose to work part-time or pursue a paid internship while in school to help cover expenses. Crowdfunding platforms, such as GoFundMe, can also be utilized to raise funds for educational expenses. It is important to carefully consider the commitment and potential impact on academics before pursuing alternative options for financial support.