How to get the results like that in Finite Square Barrier?

In summary: You need to consider all the boundary conditions to solve for all the unknown constants. In summary, the conversation is about solving for unknown constants in the finite square barrier scattering problem, with a discussion of the boundary conditions and the importance of considering all equations for different boundary conditions. The participant is seeking help in understanding how to solve for these constants and is unsure if they need to include all boundary conditions in the equations.
Guaicai
[this thread was moved from the Quantum Physics subforum, hence no template]
In this page :
http://www.physicspages.com/2012/08/06/finite-square-barrier-scattering/

When the E<V
The boundary condition tells us the equation (9) (10) and (11) (12).
I tried to get the results from those equation ,but still cannot get the results like (13)(14)(15)(16)(17).
I being watching a lot video about the Finite Square Barrier, they always skip the solving,only show the final results of this 4 unknown constants...
Still don't know how to solving those unknown constants like that.

If anyone can show me how to solving or some of the crucial step in the solving,I will really appreciate that !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us how you tried to do it, and someone here can help you find your mistake(s) and continue towards the solution.

In the boundary conditions x=-a ,
IMG_1475115225.157844.jpg

But if i try to set the D=0 ,like the Step Potential ,and going to solving what B is , it is the same result with the Step Potential Problem.Seem to be not right,when E<V the particle still have probability tunneling through the barrier.

If I not setting D equal to 0,keep that in equation, I always cannot solving the unknown constant.

Guaicai said:
But if i try to set the D=0 ,like the Step Potential ,and going to solving what B is , it is the same result with the Step Potential Problem.Seem to be not right,when E<V the particle still have probability tunneling through the barrier.
It looks like you didn't understand why you set D=0 in the step-potential problem. That reasoning doesn't apply to this problem.

If I not setting D equal to 0,keep that in equation, I always cannot solving the unknown constant.
Of course you can't solve it. You have two equations and four unknowns. At best, you could solve for two of the constants in terms of the other two. You need more equations.

Yes , there have another two equation,but for the different boundary conditions x=a.
IMG_1475201454.381195.jpg

Seems putting four equation together in different boundary conditions its not right...

And each of this results have same denominator with A.
IMG_1475202038.287318.jpg

Look like those results solved without considered the different of the boundary conditions.

Do I really need putting different boundary conditions equation together then try to solving it?

Guaicai said:
Yes , there have another two equation,but for the different boundary conditions x=a.
View attachment 106718
Seems putting four equation together in different boundary conditions its not right...
Why? The wave function is going to depend on the width of the barrier, right? It's easier to get past a narrow barrier than a wide one. The reflection coefficient depends on the ratio B/A. How can B/A depend on the width of the barrier if it's determined solely by the boundary conditions at x=-a?

And each of this results have same denominator with A.
View attachment 106719
Look like those results solved without considered the different of the boundary conditions.
I don't see how you're concluding that.

Do I really need putting different boundary conditions equation together then try to solving it?
Yes.

1. How does the finite square barrier affect particle behavior?

The finite square barrier is a potential energy barrier that restricts the movement of particles in a certain region. It can either reflect or transmit particles depending on their energy level. This barrier plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in the system.

2. What is the mathematical model used to study the finite square barrier?

The finite square barrier is typically studied using quantum mechanics, which uses mathematical models such as the Schrödinger equation to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This model takes into account the potential energy barrier and other factors to predict the behavior of particles in the system.

3. How do you calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients for a finite square barrier?

The transmission and reflection coefficients for a finite square barrier can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. The transmission coefficient is the ratio of the transmitted wave to the incident wave, while the reflection coefficient is the ratio of the reflected wave to the incident wave. These coefficients can provide information about the probability of a particle passing through the barrier.

4. What factors can affect the results obtained from a finite square barrier experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the results obtained from a finite square barrier experiment. These include the height and width of the barrier, the energy level of the particles, and the angle of incidence. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also have an impact on the results.

5. How can the results of a finite square barrier experiment be applied in real-world situations?

The study of the finite square barrier has many applications in various fields, such as electronics, optics, and material science. For example, it can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductor devices or the transmission of light through different materials. The results obtained from these experiments can help in the development of new technologies and materials.